Chapter 1: The First Meeting

Alexandra, Zed

"Welcome to Seabrook. We're a perfectly planned community. We all have perfect homes. Perfect clothes. The perfect life. Yep, everything was perfect. Until it wasn't. Who'd have thought that an accident involving lime soda would set off the apocalypse? And when the contaminated green haze blew west, people were not happy. Because it turned them into...Zombies. That's right. Zombies! Brain-eating...Zombies. Dark and gory times. But, we built a big barrier to protect ourselves from the zombie hordes. Safe at last, Seabrook could finally get back to our perfect lives. Well, a lot has changed since they built the barrier over fifty years ago. Science found a much better way to deal with zombies. And you know what happened to those brain-eating monsters? Well, they still have to live on this side of the barrier, but now...they're awesome!"

The morning of the first day of school, Alexandra stood in front of the mirror in her bedroom practicing her cheers for cheer tryouts later that day

"Give me an F! Give me an I! Give me an R-S-T! It's the first day of freshman year for me, me, me!" Alexandra cheered excitedly with a grin on her face before turning around and gasping in shock, pretending that she was in a movie and was about to introduce herself to the audience. "Oh, hi! I'm Alexandra and I've crushed cheer summer after cheer summer of cheer camp." Alexandra glanced over to her shelves filled with trophies before turning back. "But today's my shot at making the Seabrook Cheer Squad. You make Cheer and you fit in. And why wouldn't I fit in? I'm a totally normal teen." Alexandra sighed before going to her bathroom and looking over herself with a sad sigh. "Well...except for this." Alexandra sighed as her hands went to the top of her head and fiddled with her wig to make sure it was secured before pulling out a strand of her real hair. "Born with it. Doctors can't explain it. They think it's some rare genetic thing. I can't dye it, nothing sticks. I've tried everything. In some places, this hair might be odd, in, like, a cool way, but not at Seabrook. People here hate anything that's different." Alexandra put her hair back underneath her wig. "If anyone outside my family found out that I wore a wig, I would never be allowed to cheer. So, I've worn a wig for as long as I can remember."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alexandra quickly walked back into her bedroom and grabbed her backpack before walking downstairs and into the kitchen where her dad was pacing while on the phone, her mom was preparing breakfast, and her twin was at the table going through her backpack to make sure she had everything she needed. Alexandra quickly sat down next to Addison as their mom brought them over two bowls of fruit and set them down in front of her daughters.

"Cheer tryouts today!" Missy exclaimed excitedly as she stood in between her daughters and placed a hand on each of their shoulders.

"Cheer tryouts today!" Dale echoed before going back to his phone call.

"I am way fired up." Alexandra laughed out excitedly.

"Me too!" Addison exclaimed with a grin as she and Alexandra shared a look.