Chapter 6: Stand

The next day at school, Alexandra was walking up the stairs to get to her class, when all of a sudden she heard her name being called

"Alexandra." Zed called out as he rushed over to Alexandra, causing her to pause on the stairs and turn to look at him. "Last night, I wanted to help when the zombie patrol arrived but I was just- I was afraid-"

"Zed, it's not your fault." Alexandra quickly assured Zed with a soft smile. "The big problem is my parents won't let me cheer until they meet you."

"Great. So I'll just win them over with my quick wit and charming smile." Zed smiles while winking at Alexandra.

"No, not great." Alexandra shook her head with a sigh. "They don't know you're a zombie."

"And they hate zombies." Zed's face fell as he nodded his head in understanding.

"Yeah." Alexandra nodded sadly. "I'm so sorry."

"I'm sorry." Zed said in return. "For making things difficult for you."

"No, no." Alexandra exclaimed quietly while shaking her head. "You haven't done anything wrong besides being you. And you're great. You know what? If my family can't accept zombies, maybe I don't wanna be a cheerleader anymore."

"But you love cheer." Zed reminded Alexandra softly. "It's what makes you, you."

"I wish I could just flip a switch and change everything. But I can't." Alexandra said sadly, causing Zed to look down at the ground. "I have to go, I'm late for class."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day, before the Homecoming Game, Alexandra went back to her house to put her school stuff away and get changed out of her cheer uniform

Later that day, before the Homecoming Game, Alexandra went back to her house to put her school stuff away and get changed out of her cheer uniform. She paced her room before going downstairs to tell her parents the truth.

"I can't do this anymore." Alexandra sighed as she hesitantly stood in front of her parents. "There's something you need to know."

"Ok." Dale nodded his head.

"Now we're getting somewhere." Missy nodded as she shared a look with her husband.

"Now we're getting somewhere." Dale repeated as the both turned to look at Alexandra.