Chapter 4: Football

Later that day, at the football game, Alexandra stood to the side of the field with the rest of the cheer squad, watching the game

As the game starts, Zed gets tossed the football, but no one blocks the opposing players for him so he ends up getting flipped over by the other team and he lands on his back, hard. Alexandra watched in horror as Bucky clapped at Zed's pain.

"Oh, zombie down!" Bucky exclaimed with a grin as he turned to face the squad. "Let's go! Five, six, seven, eight!" The cheerleaders do a small cheer, everyone but Alexandra looking happy about it.

"It's third and long for Seabrook." the announcer said through the loud speaker. "Really long. Yep, the Mighty Shrimp are doing what they do best. Losing."

"Come on, Zed." Alexandra whispered as she looked at Zed in concern. The game went on like that till halftime, Seabrook losing and Zed kept getting tackled because no one would defend him. Soon enough, it was halftime and the coach pulled the team into the locker room to give them a pep talk while the cheerleaders did their routine.

When halftime was over, the teams ran back onto the field and the game started back up. Zed quickly gets the ball and starts to run, slamming into players as he runs, knocking them down as he runs to the end zone while everyone watches in shock.

"Whoo!" Alexandra screams as she jumps up and down while waving her pom poms. "Go Zed!"

"Dumb luck." Bucky shook his head in disbelief.

"Yeah! That's my son!" Alexandra heard Zed's dad yell excitedly.

Everyone watched as the Seabrook team set up to kick a field goal. Zed quickly kicked the football into the field goal, but he accidentally kicked it too hard that it flew way past the trees that were surrounding the field, so they had to get another football.

"Ahh! Go, Zed!" Alexandra cheered excitedly. Bucky quickly turned to the squad and gestured for them to stop cheering, causing them to lower their pom poms in fright. Alexandra looked at them in disappointment before grabbing the megaphone from Bucky and turned to face the crowd. "Yeah! Go Zed! Feel that breeze? It's not a sneeze! Zombies score and run with ease! Woo!"

"What're you doing?" Bucky asked Alexandra quietly as he lowered the megaphone and took it from her.

"Cheering. The football team hasn't won since forever." Alexandra reminded Bucky. "But we can change that. I bet the whole squad cheering together could lead the football team to victory."

"You know what? That whole idealistic kind of positive attitude has no place in cheer." Bucky told Alexandra, causing her to lose her smile. "So stop."

They turned back to the game and watched in shock as Zed won the game by flipping over the hoard of players and landed in the end zone, causing the crowd to cheer.

"Seabrook wins?" the announcer exclaimed in shock. "Wow, a win!"

"Let's go, Mighty Shrimp!" Zed yelled as he held up the football and the Seabrook team lifted him on their shoulders as everyone, including the cheer squad cheered for them. Alexandra quickly threw her pom poms onto the ground and quickly ran onto the field and ran over to Zed as he was placed back onto the ground and he met her halfway.

"Wow, you were amazing." Alexandra breathed out with a large grin on her face.

"Thanks. Awesome cheers." Zed told Alexandra with a soft smile. Alexandra couldn't hold back anymore so she quickly wrapped her arms around Zed and hugged him tightly. Zed startled a little before a smile came onto his face and he hugged her back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day at school, Alexandra walked into the school with a smile on her face after noticing the fence outside that separated the humans and the zombies got taken down

"And another win for our football team, thanks to zombie Zed." Principal Lee announced over the loudspeaker as Alexandra sat in the cafeteria during lunch with the rest of the cheer squad, watching with a grin as more and more people started to hang out with the zombies. "So be sure to show some zombie pride. Oh yeah, and tickets are now on sale for next week's cheer championship. So get yours today."

Alexandra stood up from the table and started to walk over to Zed's table when Bucky, all of a sudden, walked over to her and grabbed her shoulder and turned her to face him.

"You're either pro-cheerleader or pro-zombie." Bucky told Alexandra seriously while crossing his arms. "Decide now."

"Wait, what?" Alexandra exclaimed in disbelief while shaking her head. "You don't know how hard I-"

"What's it gonna be?" Bucky cut off Alexandra with a clenched jaw.

"I... I wanna be a cheerleader." Alexandra stuttered out sadly. "That's all I ever wanted."

"Good." Bucky smirked with a little nod before walking back to his table as tears came to Alexandra's eyes.

"Hey, Alexandra!" Zed called out with a grin when he noticed her standing there in the middle of the cafeteria. She turned to face him with tears in her eyes, causing Zed to lose his smile as he looked at her in concern. Alexandra just shook her head and quickly ran out of the cafeteria while Zed watched her in concern.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the next couple of weeks, Zed helped Seabrook win four more games, while Alexandra cheered him on from the sidelines, but was not able to talk to him because of her cousin.

The day after their latest win, Alexandra placed a surprise for Zed in his locker and was walking past with the Aceys. She went to stop and talk to him, causing the Aceys to push her past him. Alexandra looked down at the ground sadly as the Aceys made her keep walking down the hallway.

After the next game, which of course Zed won again, Alexandra watched fondly as the football team carried Zed on their shoulders. She watched with a soft smile when all of a sudden Bonzo came up to her and looked out to the field as he touched his shoulder to hers. Alexandra looked at him in confusion as he held up a note that was shaped like a bird and started to whistle like one. She quickly grabbed it and went to open it, but before she could open it fully and read it, Bonzo gave her an awkward hug before running away. Alexandra shook her head with a giggle before opening the note.

"'Meet me at the barrier. 7pm tonight. Zed.'" Alexandra read from the note with a soft smile. "I could get in so much trouble." she spoke to herself before smirking mischievously. "I'm in."