reel me in to reel it back

𝔱𝔯𝔦𝔤𝔤𝔢𝔯 𝔴𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔰 𝔩𝔦𝔰𝔱𝔢𝔡 𝔦𝔫 𝔬𝔭𝔢𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞𝔲𝔱𝔥𝔬𝔯'𝔰 𝔫𝔬𝔱𝔢

darkness.

just like that, everything is gone.

the book that had just been on his lap seems to disappear and george hears it fall off of the bed in a flutter of paper as he brings his knees up to his chest.

his ability to breathe seemed to be stolen alongside the light in his room, leaving him with a rock in his throat that stopped air from leaving or getting in.

george squeezes his eyes shut, trying to pretend that the darkness is only the back of his eyelids, not his whole room.

the brit can feel his own arms shaking where they're wrapped around his knees, which just seems to scare him more as he's so distracted that he can almost trick himself into thinking it's someone else's arms that are holding him there, frozen still in the darkness.

his heart feels like it's right up against the front of his ribs, chest tight around it.

you're okay, he reminds himself.

he coughs, body so desperate for air, and it turns into a gag. his eyes open instinctively.

he's met with the same view as when they were closed.

he hears a noise outside the door and his gaze darts over there, terror filling every inch of his body. he can't even see his door - who's to say he'd be able to see if someone was to come in?

the door flies open, almost hitting the wall behind if it wasn't for george's coat hanging on the back, and the brit has to squint at the light that shines into his eyes.

he feels tears slipping past in response to him squinting, and belatedly realises he can feel the tears on his cheeks and chin too, uncomfortably tickling his jawline.

the light at the door rushes over, going ever so slightly darker again when arms are wrapped tightly around his shoulders, the source of the light now behind his back but still illuminating the room at least a little.

george tries to remember how to breathe.

"it's okay, it's just a power cut."

the words go in one ear and right out the other, george's brain power focused on his desperate need to get some oxygen into his system. his mind is cloudy from fear alongside the growingly faint feeling that his lack of respiration is pulling down over his thoughts.

"don't worry, the light will be back in a minute, i promise."

george leans forward against the body holding him tight, straining his eyes to stay open and glancing around the room now that there's a little light. he feels fear crawling over him at the risk of blinking, or seeing the darkness again.

the body starts to pull away from him and george hardly notices as he still struggles to breathe, much more focused on the light getting brighter again, shining right towards his face.