26 ~ Fate

Vic POV

I was exhausted walking out that interview. That woman Ms. Caldwell must have asked every question that came to mind. I could see the other panelists shaking their heads ready to leave. Almost two hours I sat in there being grilled from my personal position all the way up to my financial status but I was ready. For every question I had a comeback.

At the end, the panel asked for my financial statements and business plan. Then on top of that I was asked to come back the day after tomorrow. I couldn't help myself for when I closed the door, I had to do the running man and the snake. I just hoped the cameras didn't catch me.

I walked out and got in the elevator. Bennett the young operator looked at me.

"I'm assuming it went well?"

"What?"

"You have this smile that wants to burst through so you must have gotten some good news."

"Yes I have. Yes! Yes! Yes! Round two here I come." I shook my body a little.

He laughed. "Congratulations Miss."

"Thank you."

The elevator stopped and Bennett tilted his hat to me. I dropped my badge in the basket and headed out. The rain had stopped and the sun was was popping through the once dark clouds. I caught a cab and headed back to the hotel.

I picked up my phone and called Sara but she didn't answer. I then called Mama Deb but she didn't answer either. I was just so excited I wanted to share the news but no one was around to hear it.

I picked up my phone again to call Dean and even he didn't answer. Police work couldn't be that hard, he sat at a desk all day. I tried calling Daniel and still no luck. Urgh, I swear they were killing me.

I made it back to my hotel. I gave the doorman the umbrella back but he let me keep the poncho. I walked in the grand hotel and went up to my room and changed. I wanted to check out the extravagant restaurant and bar area, who knows I could get lucky tonight.

Who was I kidding? I hadn't slept with a man since Eric. Could I really just have a one night stand and walk away? I had remained a virgin up until I was married. Giving my body up to a complete stranger just wasn't my style although I did have needs.

Would I remain this single widow all my life or would I grab life by the horns and go for the ride of my life? Maybe Sara was right, one night, no names, hot sex and move on. It's not likely I would ever see him again. Unclog the pipes and keep it moving.

I went to my closet and picked out a sexy little black dress. It didn't show too much and the length stopped right at the knees. I put the dress up to me debating if it was the one until I remembered I had brought this dark blue wraparound that ties at the side. Maybe this was the one.

I showered and put the blue one on. I did my makeup and pinned up just the middle part of my hair in a ponytail. I posed in the mirror trying to get my sexy face on but my expressions looked more like Bozo the Clown. Who was I fooling, I didn't have a sexy bone in my body. I'm a mother not a lover.

I took one last look in the mirror, grabbed my sweater and headed out.

Arriving at the restaurant down below the hostess had me wait in the bar area while my table was being cleaned. I looked around and it seemed that I was the only one that would be partaking in my meal alone. There were couples, and groups. I could see deals being made and love connections ready to go to the next level. It seemed I was the odd ball out as usual.

I sat at the bar people watching. Trusting people was a hard thing for me. I guess being attacked had pretty much sealed the deal for me. Every now and again pieces replayed. I know he tried to choke me and we fought but I can't ever see his face. He was dead so I guess it didn't really matter.