33 ~ Starting Over...Again

Eric POV

"Would it matter?" Daniel asked.

"You son of a b...," before I could finish I jumped up and punched him. His head snapped to the left.

"You assho..."

I had punched him again until I felt Dean pulling me off of him. He wiped his mouth as his lip spurted out blood. He jumped up ready to punch me but his aim was off and he ended up hitting me on the side of the head but Dean broke us apart.

"I asked a simple ass question and here you go being a smart ass."

"Why does it matter Eric? You're here today gone tomorrow!"

"Look, you both need to stop!" Dean yelled out. The serious look on his face said it all.

Mia started crying and I rushed over to her lifting her up in my arms. The smell of her lotion and baby powder swirled in my nose to my brain. She had to be mine. This feeling of protectiveness washed over me. I held her, rocking her in my arms with my cheek against the side of her head. She held on to me wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Dan...don't," I heard Dean say behind me.

I walked around the sofa humming until she finally relaxed in my arms and stopped crying.

"I'm sorry sweetie," I whispered as she laid her head on my chest. I got so wrapped up in this feeling...this moment that I didn't realize Daniel had left the room.

"I didn't mean to hit him, Dean. I appreciate what he's done but I think I already know she's mine. I can feel it, my heart is racing to know but even if she's not, I would still want and love her."

Dean smiled and nodded. Daniel walked back in with hurt and anguish across his face. He grabbed the ice pack and pressed it against his eye.

"I can't believe you hit me after everything I have done to protect you, Victoria and Mia?"

"I'm sorry but you act like I'm nobody... like I'm not even here."

"We were there when you left. We did what we had to do. I've seen Victoria cry, wishing you were here. Dean and I tried our best to make sure we picked up the scattered pieces. I'm sure you think you did the right thing but you didn't. When you left and right after she had Mia, she went into a bout of depression."

I looked over at Dean and then back to Daniel.

"He's telling the truth Eric. She went and saw a psychiatrist. Not knowing or remembering you took a toll on her. You dying, left a hole inside of her. She still visits your grave weekly, sometimes more trying to remember. To be honest, telling her the truth can go either way. Either she will hate you or just maybe that hole can slowly start too heal."

I looked down at Mia and she stared at Daniel not saying a word. I held her tighter kissing her on top of the head.

"Daniel you are the only one that knows for sure if Eric is truly the father. I know you love Mia as your own and have since the moment you held her. I love her too. You have stepped in...every way possible but he has the right to know. You would want to know if this had happened to Sara. Mia will always love you and I know Victoria is very appreciative of everything you've done. I've never asked you of Mia's paternity because I think I was scared of the answer. Please tell us who is Mia's father," Dean asked in a very calm voice looking at Daniel.

Daniel took a deep breath and wiped his face. He shook it and looked between Dean and I.

"She's...she is yours. I ran the DNA test twice and compared it with dad's to be on the safe side."