34 ~ The Visitor

Vic POV

It had been a couple days since I had been out on my dinner date with Terrance. We spoke everyday and yesterday he was suppose to eat lunch with Mia and I but one of his clients came into town.

I wasn't sure if I was ready to go forward with Terrance. He was a nice guy but somehow I had these feelings for Alexander. I thought about him constantly but somehow I had to try to put an end to this ridiculous notion that something could come out of those days of passion.

I let out a deep breath. Why did life have to be so complicated?

I walked in Mia's room when my cellphone began to ring. Looking down at the number I didn't recognize it. I let it go to voicemail and went to get Mia ready for the park.

"Mia? Are you ready to go honey?"

She was riding around in her little motorized Volkswagen Beetle.

"Park?" she asked getting out of the car rushing over to me.

"Yes are you ready?"

She grabbed her little Dora the Explorer backpack and held on to my hand. I smiled looking at my little girl acting like a big girl.

I wasn't sure who was more excited to be spending the day together. It had been weeks since Mia and I had been to the park. The fresh air and the sun beaming across our faces would be a welcoming delight. Today was sunny with a cool breeze, the perfect day for a perfect pair.

We pulled up to see children playing on the playground. The ice cream truck had a line in front and people playing frisbee.

"Now to find the perfect spot, Miss. Mia."

I grabbed the huge picnic blanket and basket out the trunk. Mia was literally jumping out of her seat to get out.

"Hold your horses, I'm coming sweetie."

I quickly unbuckled her and we looked for a spot. Looking around I spotted an empty swing and I took Mia over to it.

"Look how precious she is," some lady said.

"Thank you." I smiled. Mia did look cute in her overall shorts and polo. The big purple headband kept her little blonde curls out of her eyes.

Mia started to laughed as I pushed her.

"I've never seen you here before. Are you the nanny? I am looking for one, since I'm going back to work in a few weeks."

I looked at this woman as if she was crazy. Did she think all black women were nannys? Did I look like a freaking nanny?

"She's my daughter. I am not the nanny."

She looked between Mia and I. She scrunched up her nose in disapproval.

"I've never seen a black child with blonde hair unless..."

"Unless what?" I had the urge to smack her.

"Never mind. Come on Toni let's go."

"Great idea. It's the nicest thing you've said since I got here," I said with a totally innocent grin on my face. She walked away leaving Mia and I alone.

I continued to push Mia in the swing until it was time to eat. My phone ran and it was Terrance.

"Hey Terrance."

"Are you busy?"

"Actually Mia and I are at the park hanging out want to join us?"

"That would be great. The four walls are closing in on me and I could use a break."

"Well there is fresh air and we have plenty to eat so come on over."