36 ~ New York New York

Victoria POV

I woke up to an empty bed. The sun rays were peeking through the window along with tops of the city skyline. Getting up I looked around trying to figure out where was Mia. After Alexander and I ate last night I had gotten in the bed with her.

I walked into her temporary playroom and she wasn't there. My heart starting to beat fast not knowing where she was. I took off in a sprint down the stairs after I looked in all the rooms at top.

"So Mia would you like pancakes, French toast or waffles?" I heard Alex ask.

"Toasties," she replied.

"French toast it will be," he said smiling and gently tapping her on the nose causing her to laugh. She reached up for him and laid her head on his chest. He kissed the top of her messy curls and held her tight. The scene before me looked so natural. Was Mia getting attached to the handsome stranger?

I cleared my throat.

He turned around and said, "good morning. We are making toasties which I'm assuming is French Toast?"

"Actually toasties is just plain toast with a little grape jam on top."

"Oh?"

"Actually why don't you let me fix breakfast. You can keep an eye out on her."

"The huge panels behind you are the refrigerator and freezer. The drawers to the left has all your utensils and the bottom drawers have pots and pans and the can goods are at top."

"You are very organized I see?" Everything was carefully placed, even the labels in the refrigerator were facing forward that I was ashamed of my messy one at home. I finally found everything I needed and started breakfast.

Mia scooted down and grabbed one of her books that she must have brought down from the playroom.

"Please?" She said putting the book in his lap. She opened it, crawled back in his lap and pretended to read. He flipped the book right side up and he began to read to her. She snuggled in his embrace and listened carefully. By the time I finished breakfast, he had read the book four times, never complaining.

"Okay, time to eat." I put our food out on the table. Mia stayed in his lap and started eating her toast. I also gave her cut up strawberries and a cup of milk. She chowed down and Alexander seemed to be fascinated watching her.

"She's such a big girl."

"I know right. Everyday she does something independently and I watch in amazement. I can take her so you can eat."

"Nonsense. She seems to be happy and I don't mind."

"Did she wake you this morning?"

"When I came back from my run I peeked in your room and she was playing with a doll in the bed. You were sound to sleep so we played a little in the playroom and then came downstairs. I hope you don't mind?"

"No but I was a little worried when she wasn't next to me."

"I didn't mean to scare you, honestly."

"It's okay."

"I was thinking we could go to Central Park, the Children's Museum and for a carriage ride."

"I thought you had business to take care of?"

"The meeting was cancelled last night. You were already sleep and it was morning in Japan so that gave me the rest of the weekend free to spend time with the two of you."

"You really don't have to entertain us. We are homebodies. She has plenty of toys and things to do here."

"If you are worried about Bernard then don't. He won't be around to harass you. I've spoken to him and I know my rights. I put a restraining order against him and if he violates it, he will end up in jail."