in the dark

A couple of hours later, in the dark:

"You want another last slice? It's so good, Eden."

"Jesus. Are you still eating? You'll spray crumbs all over the sheets, you pig."

"I'm telling you, this is so good. Hawaiian pizza rocks."

"It's disgusting."

"Eden. The door's right there, in case you hadn't noticed before."

"I feel the need to remind you that this is my home, Kal, remember?"

"Quite beside the point. Ooh, there's another slice left of the steakhouse one too. All juicy and bloody. Love it."

"Ugh. I can't stand blood. Gives me the creeps."

"Dude, Eden, that literally makes no sense. You're a doctor. You can't be squeamish."

"And? I just want to help people, Kal, even if it means confronting things I dislike."

"Whatever, nutjob. Hey. Do you know what this reminds me of?"

"Mm?"

"Remember when we were kids, the night before the school Christmas play? How I always stayed over at yours? Otherwise I got so het up at home I became an awful nuisance. Oh, and remember that play when you played the Virgin Mary?"

"Huh. Yeah. I wanted to be Gabriel. That cow Olivia Williams was chosen instead."

"The lady doth protest too much. You were the star of the show, wasn't that enough? I remind you that some people played a tree. A bloody tree, Eden. I don't think there were trees at Belen. Stop laughing."

"Well, you weren't really cut out to be an actor, Kal. Hey, be right back, I'm going to text my friends we're postponing our drinks for tomorrow, you being a pain in the arse and all."

"Aren't they going to be pissed off?"

"Sod them. You're hurt. I'm not going to leave you here."

"Well, well, look who's being all nice and sweet now, eh?"

"Shut up."

"I was thinking, Eds. You sure you don't mind me sleeping here with you? I can crash on the couch, no worries."

"I told you. It's fine."

"Mm. I just wanted to warn you, that's all. Think you'll be able to resist a temptation such as myself all night long? Ow. Stop it, woman. Stop it, that hurts."

"I'm glad. Now put a fucking sock in it and let me sleep. You better not snore."

"Goodnight to you too, Eds."