The Fox Monster in the Woods | Leo (Oc) x Reader (Oneshot)

✎Self Indulgent

✎Reader is Gender-Neutral

《↬.•.•✿•.•.↫》

There's rumors floating around town of a fox monster that lives in a cabin in the woods. It's a rumor told around your town, but no one has ever seen or confirmed its existence...Until today.

You heard about it from your friend and decided to investigate. Your friend decided to join but ditched at the last second, so you're alone. You wander the forest, slightly confused on where you're going, and end up making it to a small cabin. It looks like a tiny house, rustic with nature and rose themed stained glass windows. Is this where that fox monster lives?

You walk up to the door and hesitantly knock on it. A moment passes and the door opens, a short red fox wearing a suit standing at the doorway.

"Oh, hello! Come inside and warm yourself by the fire, it's quite cold out there!" He says with a happy smile, opening the door wide and stepping aside to let you in. He's right, it is pretty cold out. It's autumn and it started getting cold out, not enough to snow sadly.

"O-Okay..." You mumble, walking inside. You're surprised, you didn't expect him to be so kind- and short. He's honestly adorable with how optimistic and sweet he is.

"I made some tea, I can share if you'd like?" He asks as he walks over to the fireplace, sitting down in a rocking chair and taking a sip of some tea.

"No thank you." You say as you walk over to the fire to warm yourself up.

"Can I get you anything? Some food? A drink?" He asks, setting his teacup on a table. The table has a lit oil lantern and a single book on it, he must've been reading before you stopped by.

"I'm good, thank you." You say softly, smiling at him.

"Of course! May I ask what you're doing out in the woods by yourself? It's not often I get visitors and I don't want to assume you came out here to see little old me." He asks.

"I actually did." You say, turning towards him.

"O-Oh, really? What for?" He asks. You glance away for a moment nervously. You're reluctant to tell him; you don't want to hurt him by saying everyone in town thinks he's a monster. He's too sweet and kind to be a monster.

"W-Well..." You cave, you're going to tell him. "There's a rumor going around town about a fox monster that lives in the woods, so I decided to investigate."

"Oh really?" He asks softly, not sounding as hurt as you thought he would. "And you decided to go alone, without any equipment to protect yourself with, with the chance I'd be hostile?"

"Well, my friend was going to come but they bailed on me." You mumble, glancing away.

"But still, you didn't bring anything to protect yourself with. I don't wish to be rude but that wasn't entirely the smartest decision, with the chance that I could've been hostile and strong enough to deal any damage. Sure, it worked out in your favor, but still... If you're going to attempt something risky like this again, please be safe alright? I don't wish for you to get hurt." He says softly.

"You say that like there's more things out there." You say.

"I can't confirm nor deny that fact." He says.

"Wait, are there more of you out there?" You ask him with a shocked look.

"Well, I personally haven't seen anyone like me, but it is possible there's more people like me living in these woods. I know River lives here and she told me there's some fairies who live here as well, but I don't know if there's anything else." He explains.

"River? Who's River?" You ask.

"Oh! River is the guardian of the forest. She's very sweet, you should meet her!" He tells you.

"Oh okay..." You mumble softly. "Do you get many visitors?" You ask.

"Well, not many but there are two people who visit me almost everyday. Other than them, I don't get visited often. You're the first one in a while that isn't River or Amber." He says.

"What's your name?" You ask.

"Oh, my apologies. I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Leo, what's your name?" He asks.

"My name is Y/n." You say.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Y/n." Leo smiles at you. He glances out of the stained glass window and sees the sun getting close to setting for the day. "You should probably get going, it's getting late and I want you to be safe and not lost in the forest." Leo says.

"Alright, I'll get going. It was nice to meet you too, Leo." You say as you get up, walking towards the door. "Hey, should I tell everyone that I met you, and that you were really sweet? They all believe you to be some horrible monster." You ask, your hand on the door handle.

"That would be nice, thank you. I may be a monster, but I'm not a monster. I'm human mentally, like you. That makes sense, right?" Leo says.

"Yeah, that makes sense." You say. You open the door and go to step out but Leo stops you.

"Wait..." Leo stands up and makes his way towards you. "You should probably have some proof to show them so they don't think you're lying. I know what it feels like to have someone not believe you even when you're telling the honest truth." He picks up a picture off of the shelf, handing you the picture. It's a picture of him smiling kindly at the camera. "Here, take this picture of me. I have a couple of these, so I don't need it." He smiles at you.

"Thank you." You say and take the picture.

"Of course!" He smiles at you.

"Bye Leo." You say as you begin to walk away.

"Bye Y/n!" He says and closes the door. He sits back down and continues reading his book, feeling content.

《↬.•.•✿•.•.↫》