2: 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗼

𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗵

Walking through the door of my apartment, I was met with the crisp air flowing. My A/C stayed on sixty-nine, year round and that's how I liked it. It was October and while Atlanta's weather is just as bipolar as Tampa's — it was pretty constant. Not too hot, but not cold enough.

"Hey, hey, sista' girl!" My eyes buckled at Jessy's voice. Her unexpected appearance left me shocked. Standing still with my hand flew to my mouth, in hopes to stop myself from screaming. Just as my bag fell to the floor.

"I thought yo' bald-headed ass left this morning after me!"

"Girl, the only thing bald is my pus — private parts," She came to stand in front of me. Placing a kiss on my cheek before bending over to pick up my Coach Court Backpack by its handle. "That's bad, luck, baby. Don't put ya' bag on the floor," Jess said while heading back to the couch with my belongings in hand.

I was still trying to find words. And my heartbeat.

"And girl, I fell asleep after you left. It was so peaceful. Quiet and relaxing. I miss having my own house."

Okay, I'm good.

"I thought you were looking for somewhere to stay again. And you're welcome here anytime. Just tell me!" I told her, finally moving my feet as I walked into the kitchen across from where we were previously stationed.

"My bad. I told you, I fell back to sleep. Y'all had a bitch hung over....real bad."

"I had two margaritas, hun'. I did no damage."

Last night was the typical birthday dinner. A few friends including my closest two: Kay and Jessy. They extended the invitation to Stone and Trinity, surprisingly. The two girls only gave us more variety of conversation and laughter.

Good food, drinks, and, a few laughs before we ended the night at my house. Jessy and Khadi had purchased gifts. So, by the time we arrived back, I had five gift bags, balloons, and a bouquet of roses sitting on the kitchen island for me. Stone had brought the flowers and stuck in a card with two hundred dollar bills inside. While Trinity simply sent a cash app gift.

To say the least, I was pleased.

"I stopped counting after number five, chy." Jessy said from the living room. I laughed, noticing she had a Tubi movie on. The familiar face of Crystal Hudges popped up and I knew it had to be good. Me and Jes loved a good Tubi film. While Kay would clown us every single time.

"Well at least it's Friday and we can relax, maybe order some food and unwind. Because next week is even busier." I said, taking a seat next to her with a room temperature Smart water in hand.

While my news column was sitting at eighty percent done after today's workload — it wasn't my best work.  I knew that deep down. Which means Mrs. Landrum would point it out too. She was a stickler for the best of the best. With only four of us coming from Clark University, it wasn't hard to keep track of who did what. She knew our potential and expectations were built from there.

It's just with this being my last semester, I have a lot on my plate and not enough time. From scholarship opportunities, finishing my internship, relocating, graduating, my sister, and keeping myself up? I felt like I was coming in and going at a hundred miles per hour with no chance of slowing down.