15: 𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲

𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗵

"Niggas ain't shit though and that's just facts." And the congregation inside my living room, amen to the spoken words.

"Especially nowadays. Always have one in the tuck for when ya' main one fuck up."

"Chy, it ain't just nowadays. Niggas ain't never been shit. That's why you pimp they ass out and move the fuck on." The heads of me and my friends snapped in my mother's direction. The shock was written all over our facials at her words. She was completely serious.

This wasn't a typical Thanksgiving gathering, however, today was indeed November 24th and the long-awaited holiday had finally rolled around.

On today's menu was some of everyone's favorite. Collard greens, red beans, jambalaya rice, mustard greens, baked macaroni and cheese, sweet honey cornbread, ham, oxtails, baked and grilled chicken, with enough sweets to put Publix out of business. Between me and my mother, the pots, pressure cookers, and pans had been turned on last night and went off before two o'clock this afternoon when my girls arrived.

And of course, they brought the liquor with them. That's how this conversation even got started.

Niggas.

"Ion know...I trust my man." I said straightforwardly, leaning up to retrieve the strawberry and mango frozen daiquiri.

Yes, today is the day to be giving thanks and love. Yet, here we are chopping it up over drinks as the early evening hours start to set in. Our bellies were full and all of us had lounged around within the last two hours watching movies and TV shows. Then each of us picked off slices of strawberry cheesecake, key lime cake, and pecan pie.

"I raised yo' ass better than that." Lynn stated, shaking her head in disbelief.

"What?! My man is good to me," I told her, now that the cat was out of the bag. It was so easy for her to pull such sensitive information out of me. "Don't play. Y'all can tell when a nigga really like you. Hell, you can tell when a nigga is in love with you."

"I'm not saying you can't, but that don't mean you suppose to trust him." Kay said and I know she was ready to attack. Khadi was definitely that one friend that's in every crew of girlfriends.

'The nigga in the female body.'

"So you think he likes you or loves you?" My mama asked her question following Kay's words immediately. The three of them turned to me in anticipation.

Damn, talk about putting me in the hot seat. What did I think? I don't know. Well, I was troubled to say the least. My intuition told me one thing, but the words of my best friends and even my mother, made me think differently.

Ka'Dafii was beyond sweet and patient. He was attentive and a great listener, even better with holding conversation. He checks off the list of everything a woman could desire in a man. From his height to his sexual drive. But did he love me? I think so.

"He adores me." I said positively, shrugging my shoulder.

"What the fuck does that mean? Do the nigga like you or not, Mariah?" My mother asked, her street tone coming through. Lynn's way of being hard on us came from her heavy tone. It was her way of getting the point across.

"Adoring someone means, I like you a lil' more than just...liking you. It's almost love, but not quite. We still got some growing to do, but we'll get there."

"Y'all will?" Jessy asked and I laughed at her excitement.

"Yeah."

"Y'all had a real argument yet?" Lynn questioned.