8: 𝙖𝙘𝙩𝙞𝙣 𝙛𝙪𝙣𝙣𝙮

𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗵

"UGH! I can't find anything to wear for picture day." Came through the phone.

Mimi was talking to me through the FaceTime call. Her camera shows the roof of the next available master bedroom.

The Coconut Grove home based in Miami was modest, but very well kept. Viktor has always been one to keep his home simple, yet tasteful and spotless. A major win for him as he fought for custody against our mother.

"When is picture day?" I asked, looking between my Mac screen and iPhone.

"Next Wednesday, but I need to have everything together by Friday because next week I have cheerleader practice and I'll be too tired."

Aww, the stress of a thirteen-year-old is beautiful.

Smirking, I kept the thought to myself while mindlessly typing in Fashion Nova on one internet tab, Shein in another, and even adding Forever 21 to the mix. Between the three sites, I'm sure we could come up with something. The hardest issue is finding out which site would deliver within three to five business days. Unless I paid extra for expedited shipping, which may be my only option.

"Are you taking clothes to school to change into...? You don't have anything cute in your closet?"

Milan picked up the phone then, her facial expression revealing the defeat she must feel before replying to me in a sad tone. Such a con artist. "No...well, yeah, but I want something different. Something that I've never worn before." The camera flipped and I was met with the messiest closet. It definitely wasn't that junky every day cause Vik wasn't having that, but it proves she's been trying to piece something together.

Mimi was like her big sister and we both followed in the footsteps of our mother. From shoes to clothes — we didn't mind the price. As long as we could afford it — we owned it. Especially when it comes to pictures and photoshoots. According to Mimi, these photos would be included in the yearbook. 

"Something different? Mimi, just match some of that stuff up differently. It's not like they're going to see your pants no way." Usually and typically school photos consist of headshot frames.

"I know, but Dad paid for an exclusive package. It's a few extra poses and I told Tierra we could take some together." Tierra was her best friend and also a pain in the ass sometimes. But my sister loves her and I never have to see the child, so as long as Mimi is safe — I'm fine.

"You're still sitting down."

"I know...okay, maybe a dress then? I was thinking a two piece like the girls are wearing on Instagram." See? That's the problem.

"Those girls on Instagram are grown women, Milan."

"I know, but I can find something my age." Yeah, I was looking and so far? She was out of luck cause none of it was appropriate or cute.

"Well besides your clothing issue, have you thought about Thanksgiving next month."

October was coming and going just as fast with the end of the month was near. I had promised our mother, I'll talk to Mimi about coming to Tampa with me for the holiday. While it's usually a tradition that I spend Thanksgiving with Mimi and Viktor — this year Lynn had other wishes. If she decide to see Lynn, I had no problem flying to Miami so we could ride down to Tampa together.

Last Christmas, I shipped out gifts and stayed in Atlanta, which was fine with Mimi because she wanted to stay home too. I had a good mind to do the same thing this year. However, Lynn's birthday is in December. So, I understood the desire to see her kids around this time of the year.