20: 𝗽𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗮 𝘂 *

𝗞𝗗

graduation 𝗱𝗮𝘆,
𝗱𝗲𝗰.𝟭𝟳ᵗʰ

Exiting my kitchen, I peeked over at the digital clock on the stove.

10:58.

Taking the empty box of Just Water, I tossed it in the trash can before heading back into the living. Twisting open a cold bottle of Alkaline Spring water during the walk. Just Water had quickly become my favorite Springwater. Blame it on Penelope for the newest addiction. I was almost ready to say, if it was spring water, I wasn't drinking it.

The girl had completely turned me out and made me spoil on top of that.

"Mariah! You late, girl."

"Ugh, don't call me that." I heard her, tip-toeing down the staircase. Thankfully the majority of her gifts were already tucked away in the trunk of my Impala. I figured today was the best day to pull out the old school, besides she enjoys the ride.

Only a glimpse of her and my body froze.

It's been about five years since I last attended a graduation. Kai and Mike were in the spotlight then, crossing the infamous stage. Even with one being my twin brother and the other being my best friend — this wasn't the same.

Without having on the freshly steamed black robe, Penelope caught the attention.

The cream dress by Micas was asymmetrical with a cut design which stopped mid-thigh on one side. There was also a lace black trimming and lines. The cut and silk material hugged her curves perfectly and the five-inch Sara Lilas Massimo heels enhanced the ensemble altogether.

Last night Penelope took the time with replacing her curly wig with a jet-black bone straight option. The change up in her hair was strictly for the special occasion. And this morning, I watched her do pin curls which came out flawless.

She's a Barbie, that's why I gifted her the nickname.

"You look beautiful, mama." Penelope looked up from her phone, not stopping until she was directly in front of me.

"Thank you, so do you...well, you know? You look handsome," With her hands now free from her phone, bag, and robe — all that occupied the arm of the couch now — Penny was able to examine me with more than just her eyes.

"Very handsome." She seconded in a low voice, rubbing her hands down the front of my black boohooMan's MotoCar sweatshirt. She prides herself on the moment that I gave her control in the closet last night. It wasn't my graduation, so there was no need for a suit and tie. However, the designer sweater paired with my black cargo pants and a pair of Black University Gold Jordan 1s — made the perfect fit. So, that's what I wore, happily.

The only piece of jewelry occupying my outfit was a $30,000 Rolex Sky-Dweller. Which was probably the most expensive thing on me today.

"Thank you, Barbie," With a quick peck, Penelope stepped back and I redirected her to the next item on the list.

Her call time for today was eleven o'clock, which the clock had already struck — I'm sure. So, we needed to get a move on things.

"I got ya' first gift. And you need it now, that's why imma open it for you." I said matter-a-factly. Leaning down I retrieved the burgundy Cartier shopping bag. Hearing the sounds of Penny's discouragement before I saw her head shaking. 

"No, sir. Ka'Dafii, I have a watch. A nice one too." She pleads, grabbing my hand to try and stop me from pulling out the gray Switzerland Group jewelry box.