21: 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝘆 4 𝘆𝗼𝘂

𝗞𝗗

one week 𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿:
𝗱𝗲𝗰. 𝟮𝟮ᶰᵈ

Nothing in this World by Keke Wyatt and Avant played through the sound bar under Penelope's mounted television. Instantly the scent of Clorox and Green Apple Faboloso hit my nose after closing the front door to her townhouse.

Tossing down my keys to the Impala, heedlessly I found myself humming along as the chorus bounced off the walls. A smile on my face once the second floor was in view and I noted that the lights on the Christmas tree were lit. Penny was leaving the laundry room. In her hand was the custom 'towel' basket full of folded white rags and towels.

"Hey..." Stopping briefly, I caught her by the straps of her short silk robe. Stealing a kiss, which she dodged playfully, before continuing on her way.

"Keep playing, ma." I whispered hoarsely, turning to watch her head in the direction of the guest bathroom. All of her linen is white. From the towels to her rags, and even the sheets.

It was something I found highly attractive, oddly.

Peeking around, I noted the shag rug of her living room spotless with fresh vacuum lines in the faux fur. The hardwood floors glistened with a bright cast, while on her kitchen island was seasoned chicken, shrimp, and day-old rice in a container.

Her time alone had been successful.

Two days after graduation was Ms. Lynn's 40th birthday — and her last full day in Atlanta. Ironically, Penelope seemed more excited about the departure than her mom's celebration. Before the big day, we went shopping for gifts separate from the Christmas shopping she had done. In the end, a Telfar bag that Penelope ordered, Chanel No°5 perfume, and a pair of tall UGG Raincloud boots were the top three picks. She gifted the presents during their private dinner at Ruth Chris Steakhouse and the next morning, they parted ways after dropping off Ms. Lynn's rental.

I know Penelope was ready to gain her privacy back and the past week was her adjusting back to that level of normalcy. In the short time, keys to our homes had been exchanged and I gave her a new emergency keycard for access to the penthouse. 

"Sorry, I was trying to finish before you got here." Penny explained, coming back to me empty handed now that the basket was dropped off in its designated spot. By now, I had pulled the Dreamville hoodie over my head and was checking my notifications.

"What are you saying sorry for? Told you to stop apologizing for shit." Putting the phone down, I pulled her closer, enjoying the warmth when her arms wrapped around my torso. Truthfully? My energy level was at two.

Today had been a full schedule to say the least, even with Christmas being three days away. First on the list, was waking up at 4:45 am. Needing to be at the shop to complete a ninety-minute conference call with my Coca-Cola team. By the time I was hanging up, Penny surprised me with a DoorDash breakfast order from Chic-Fil-A and then it was time for my 7:15 appointment. Tattoos were slowly becoming a hobby again, but there are times when I can't deny the appointment because of the experience embraced. Today was one of those times.

I had a tapout session that consisted of an entire back piece. The design included two baby angels as symbols of passed rainbow babies, scripture quotes, and finally a portrait of the beautiful baby girl my client, Terry and his wife welcomed two months ago. The couple came together for the consultation and explained how much the tattoo meant to them after suffering from two miscarriages prior to their daughter's birth. I knew then I couldn't turn this down and I wanted to prove to myself I still had it. It's been a few months since I did a tapout and today prove — I was still gifted with the tattoo gun.