30: 𝘀𝗮𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗲𝘀...part two

𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗵

three days 𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿:

30 minutes.

Dang it, I'm running late!

Two knocks came from the opposite side of my office doors inside the CNN headquarters. Rolling my eyes, I glanced at the digital clock near the glass entertainment center. In my hands were two stacks of potential headlines for this weekend's production. Some were staying, some were trash, but right now? I wouldn't worry too much about sorting. My time was running out.

After I was connected to the iMac's digital control center, the system appeared with a list of commands. From operating the shades that hid the floor-to-ceiling windows to the sound bar and television, electric fireplace, office lights, and lastly the locks on the door — everything was at the touch of my finger.

Within a few seconds, the locks were off and Ms. Alexa Gillium had been granted her short invite.

Alexa and I were cordial during our days at Clark Atlanta. However, these last few months have been completely different and that's something we both speak about in a proud sense. Our friendship is more inviting now. We're aware of each other and not just because we're classmates. Plus our communication has sparked with how closely we work together in the writing and editorial departments. Never was there an awkward space for us, but before our opportunities at CNN — we didn't have this chance to grow a bond.

"I know, you're tired of me! I'm sorry. I promise to leave you alone for the rest of the....next week, but..." Alexa's failed promise was funny and as she closed the door, I did one last mental check while watching the frown on Lex's face deepen from the iPad's screen.

"What's wrong, Lex?"

"I just can't.....your opening paragraph and your closing are your strongest points, right? That's what grabs your reader's attention?"

"Correct..." I smirked at her apparent frustration, taking a seat behind my desk as she came to the guest chairs. I swear, once a week, we go through this.

"So, why is it so hard, Penny? I've done this, but who gives a fuck about the shit they want us to write about?" Laughing, I packed away my things, glancing at the clock once more. 26 minutes!

"Let me hear what you have and I'll try to help you tweak it...a little." Lex's smile grew at my words, knowing this was exactly what she needed to finish her current cases of hot files due for breaking news in the next two hours.

With not a second to spare, I listened to her read over the story being constructed on her executive iPad. Unintentionally, Alexa was given only seven minutes to read her draft. The body of the story and her two troubling paragraphs. Minor tweaks and trucks, but as always we got it completed just before Ka'Dafii's name flashed on my iPhone.

I already knew what he was calling for. This would be his first phone call — trying to see where I was and how long I'd be. Thankfully, I won rock-paper-scissors at six o'clock this morning and didn't have to worry about him waiting outside to pick me up.

"Thanks, I know you're getting ready to leave for the day. Are you still free for the headline call at 5?"

"Tomorrow morning at 5, right?" I clarified, wanting to make sure before I left the office.

"Yep. That way we can go over the hour topics, edit, and finish any animations before the seven o'clock news starts. Shouldn't take over an hour." 

"That's fine, I'll be in attendance." Alexa nodded at my words and I slipped off my office slippers and back into the Christian Louboutin Glitter & Crystal Sandals heels. Those along with my black and white collar dress were the perfect look for a half day in the summertime. The office was always cold, at least mine was, but the growing May weather in Georgia called for some necessary coolness.