30: 𝗱𝗼𝘂𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝗹𝗸𝗲𝗱...part one

𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗵

three months 𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿:

Ka'Dafii walked into the bedroom, bobbing his head to Xscape's Tonight. It wasn't too loud, wasn't too soft. The midnight hours had rolled in, with the clock reading 12:48 AM.

I could sense the tiredness over his being.

KD left the bed at five this morning with a full schedule. He explained to me once before that the growth of vendors and sponsorships made his normal eight to twelve-hour days feel more like fifteen to seventeen-hour days. Not to mention developments occurring on the property for future quarter's shows and inside Dreamville's shop.

It's not a daily thing, not even weekly. Most of the time, KD's workload can be completed by his phone or MacBook. The more interactive partnerships would be the ones that pull him away for hours to handle meetings and conference calls. It was usually those three companies that paid the most. The flip side of a multi-million-dollar contract. Since the Dreamville Quarter in February, there have been two new sponsors including Atlantic Records. Sebastian denies having any pull in the deal, but KD and Kai don't believe him. Regardless, those new deals came with contracts worth around 3.5 million — separately.

Zay didn't seem to mind the early mornings. Not that much anyway.

I remember him smacking his teeth at the sound of the five AM alarm. Then he threw the sheets back with an annoyed mumble. I also remember laughing under my breath, but barely being awake when he kissed my cheek and whispered, "See you later, Barbie," against my skin.

Now it's nineteen hours later and he's stepping out of the bathroom, with nothing but a towel around his waist and his locs falling loosely over his head.

"Stop staring at me, freaky ass girl." 

"I wasn't actually staring. Thank you," Sitting up, I laughed at his facial expression in response to my denial. "You gon' let me do ya' hair?"

"You just wanna play, Penelope."

"I'm finna do it for real, I promise. Come sit down, Zay."

Ka'Dafii looked at me through his hanging congos. A smirk was written on his face before he shamelessly, unraveled the towel, shaking his head. "You gotta promise me, that you only gon' do what I ask you to do. Nun' more."

Standing from the bed, I unconsciously eyed him from head to toe before gaining concentration and grabbing the only chair in his room. Wondering momentarily if he was too tall, but we'll make it work. Finally, KD came to take a seat once he was dressed in a pair of Hanes briefs and some basketball shorts.

He slouches down in the chair while stretching his legs out in front of himself. After getting comfortable, I used a cotton shirt to rub along his locs. Trying to rid some of the dripping water, but definitely not all.

This was only the second time that I had gotten him to sit still long enough for me to do something in his head. The first was only to tie the locs in his signature criss-cross style in the back. While this time, the mission was for him to wash his hair in order to clean his scalp. Then it was my turn to apply some water-based moisturizer, oil treatments, and lock up some of the skinner dreads to form a new congo.

"I'm so excited."

"Ion know why. It shouldn't take that long."

Laughing, I palmed one of my hands with the mixture. There was kukui oil, jojoba oil, almond, and castor oil, and lastly, grape seed which was based strictly on its sweet aroma.