5: 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗶𝗻'𝘁 𝘀𝗹𝗶𝗰𝗸

𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗵

"Remember your columns are due in two weeks! I have yet to see a finalized draft that's ready for the final review. Your columns are due in exactly one week. No exceptions and no late turn-ins! I will see y'all Wednesday,"

Closing the top of my MacBook, I stood from my assigned seat inside the auditorium-sized classroom. I was mentally checked out from class before Dr. Landrum even gave her speech. By now, I was just plain ready to go. So, I stuffed everything away in hopes of leaving. It was a little after eleven o'clock and I had some time to spare. A nice long nap would be blissful before two o'clock had to roll around.

"Ms. Fleming, I need a word with you." Dr. Landrum announced as I was making my way down the aisle, along with a few of my classmates.

Mentally, I sighed before tossing the Coach Backpack on my shoulder. With my phone and keys, I stepped around one of the females, giving a polite head nod before stopping at the Professor's desk.

Dr. Linda Landrum was only in her mid-fifties, with a record of over fifteen years in education and the last six has been on a post-secondary level. Her background in Mass Media is what landed her at Clark Atlanta. Shortly after her arrival, she began to serve as the secondary chairman of our program. She's charming and alert, while also being quick on her toes.

I admired her on another level than just my professor or chairman of the University's program. But also as a Black woman with a goal. One that she kept up with. 

"Yes ma'am."

"How are you, Penny?"

"I'm okay...," For some reason, I felt nervous. As if an explanation was needed. "My column is almost finished-" But Dr. Landrum shook her head at my words. Silently ceasing my voice. 

"That's not exactly why I wanted to talk to you." She said, taking a seat. "I have noticed that you haven't submitted your draft. But more importantly, you're not engaging as much as you normally would. So, I'm hoping everything is okay."

Did I mention the woman is also overly observant?

"Everything is good...I just got a lot on my plate right now."

"Graduation is nearing. Do you have any plans after?"

"Yes, I'm finishing up this internship and afterward I'm applying for entry-level screenwriting."

Mrs. Landrum nodded as a smile grew wide on her face. "I love that for you. It's a big goal, but you're phenomenal." I simply shrugged at her acknowledgment. Not wanting to speak on anything too soon with anyone.

It was between two broadcasting companies currently. While the position with CBS was still in the air, NBC had reached out multiple times in the last few weeks. Moving to the next steps in the job referring process. Both job titles would require a six months process. Meaning nothing was final before January and by February, I would know who or where I had landed myself at.

New York City or Los Angeles.

"I'm trying." I responded with merely.

"Well, good luck. Now far along are you with your column?" Yeah, I figured.

"By Thursday I may be finished. And then I can submit it for your final review before I do any tweaking this weekend."

"That sounds perfect. Tonight, give me what you have. It doesn't need to be completely polished, but I do what to see what you've come up with — before turning it in for the final. And surely before you submit it for the 105.9 websites."