12) A glimpse of Modhera

"Modhera? Where is that?" Maurya demanded.

"It is in Mehsana, Gujarat," Dharma displayed the pictures of the town on the screen, each slide showing the grandeur of the Sun temple.

"And here is the flight of steps from where the models will enter the ramp," Dharma moved to the next slide and continued, "This is the step-well, and a narrow platform around it allows us space for a catwalk. It is also a perfect venue for still photographs for the annual calendar."

"Will we get permission for such a show?" Tapan asked

"It is a protected monument, but they do conduct annual dance festivals," Dharma replied, waiting for Maurya's response.

"Even if the styles of my designs are trendy, their prints are traditional. It is a fusion and to showcase such outfits, it will be ideal if we offer a glimpse of it in the backdrop of a monument that belongs to another time. It will give us an exotic label," Dharma explained, trying to gain the confidence of others around her.

"I think it is an excellent idea," Akhil Sampat, the marketing executive who had appreciated her silently at the last meeting, praised her proposal.

"Yes, it will be a good opportunity for Index Fashions to gain some publicity," Sonia approved and Dharma conferred her a grateful look.

"I agree but what about the expenditure?" Tapan inquired

"We will have to work out the specifics," Maurya answered, gazing at the pictures on the screen. Dharma heaved a sigh of relief, at least he hadn't dismissed her proposal.

"But Maurya, how is it possible to invite guests and models to some godforsaken village? It will ruin our show," Clearly, Rashika disapproved and Dharma did not expect anything else from her.

"I agree, it will cost us too much to conduct our show in some unheard of place, plus, if we don't sell, we will accrue huge losses," Lekha, like always, reiterated Rashika's point.

"As it is, Index does not sell much, so, it hardly matters," Tapan's sardonic response drew much amusement around the table although Rashika and Lekha were definitely not pleased about it. Tapan continued, "To gain some, we have to lose some. And if we stand to gain more, why not try it?"

"I think Dharma's proposal will pave a new path for Index Fashion. If we cover the event adequately in the press, then it will be a drawing card for us," Sonia's viewpoint elicited more opinions, most of them in agreement with the idea.

"Mitali, work out the cost for the whole show and give me the details by next week. Dharma, provide details of the apparel, cost, and execution as early as possible. Find out the ideal time to have the show there. A team from Index and Krishna must visit the town and collect information about the permits and availability. Dharma, I want you to accompany the teams," Maurya directed.

Dharma nodded, excitement rising at the thought of visiting a new place, especially an architectural legacy like Modhera.

The meeting ended and Maurya, followed by Rashika left the room. Others streamed out gradually.

"Hey, congrats!" Tapan offered his hand and Dharma's vibrant smile took him by surprise.

"Thank you for the support. I hope I will be able to pull this off successfully."

"Of course, you will!"

"I will bug you if I need any clarification," Dharma said, sliding the bag over her shoulder.

"Thanks for the warning. I think I will go on a long holiday."

Dharma jabbed his arm with her phone, and together, they exited the room.