22) Friends for Life

The party was arranged in the landscaped garden of Vasukinath's house and he had invited many of his business associates. The place was bustling with relatives, friends, and staff of their companies. Rashika looked stunning in an ivory gown, complementing Maurya's grey suit and cream shirt. She joined Maurya the moment he arrived.

Maurya, on his part, regarded the gathering with displeasure. He pondered why anyone would spend so much money and time on an event that was merely a formality preceding the wedding. It was such a wasted effort. While he mulled over the arrangements, Rashika preened as she and Maurya became the cynosure of all eyes. The gentle breeze wafting across the garden carried sighs of bliss, envy, and approval.

Maurya was having a pointless conversation with a distant relative of Rashika when he saw her enter with Tapan.

The breeze that drifted across the lawn, grew heavy with undercurrents. The steady but very gentle wind turned stiff, pausing for a moment, and then flitting across the crowded garden unsteadily. With a flagrant disregard for the prevailing harmony, it dispelled the air of complacency. The ripples of chaos that fluttered over the trees and grass scattered a few leaves from the array of their smug stance. The swirling gust of wind signalled the end of sprightly spring; in its place was a scorching and passionate summer ahead. The faint sting of brewing turbulence grated on the oasis of blitheness.

Maurya went still but strove hard to remain where he was, as a shutter came down his face. His gaze roved over her, taking note of her silky tresses, the shy awe on her face as her eyes skimmed over the gathering, the slender neck that balanced her exquisite face, and her mildly withdrawn demeanour.

The expanse of the greens between the spot where Maurya stood and the arched entry was considerably large, and yet, he took note of the way Tapan held her elbow in a casual manner. It tempted him to prise her out of Tapan's captivating charm. In the darkening twilight, Dharma's sequined gown began to shimmer. Maurya's attention picked up the gasps of male appreciation around him. He recognized the mushrooming interest of his ilk that identified a quarry.

He bristled in indignation.

****************

Dharma had seen such mansions and gardens only in the spread of glossy magazines. The guests milling around, flaunted designer outfits, exclusively branded accessories, and finely groomed figures. The garden was lit with a series of bulbs that lent a glow of lavishness to the surrounding. She searched for a glimpse of a familiar face but none fit the bill

Spotting known faces, Tapan led her to an assembled group of staff from Krishna Industries. Many of them darted curious looks at her and Tapan, silently questioning their equation. If Tapan observed the unspoken queries, he did not deem it necessary to respond, however, Dharma did discern that her arrival with Tapan had created a buzz in the circle. Tapan, in a long black tunic and white narrow trousers, drew steady attention. Dharma's glance roamed around the garden and locked itself on the striking couple who exuded an aura of gentility. Rashika and Maurya were attired in similar colour tones and they complemented each other with their contrasting personalities. She looked small and demure beside a tall and confident Maurya. Dharma's eyes unwillingly strayed to Maurya's face. The halo and mystique that surrounded Maurya normally intrigued her once again.

Dharma noted that the men and women around Maurya were hanging on to every word he spoke, even Rashika was listening to him with rapt attention. He encompassed his listeners in one glance, unwittingly relaying to a keen observer that he considered them a bunch of persons rather than an individual. A slightly lopsided smile remained on his face as the conversation came to an end. A couple of men withdrew while others stayed put, expressing their opinions.