34) The Baspa Valley

Arjun and Rashika waited for Chaitanya's arrival. Arjun had contacted Chaitanya through his informers and had asked him to meet them near an isolated farm on the outskirts of the city. Despite having ill feelings about the whole thing, Arjun agreed to Rashika's plan only because she had promised to break her engagement with Maurya and accept him.

While Rashika remained in the car, Arjun moved about the deserted street. About fifteen minutes later, Arjun received a call,

"Hey, it is from him..." Arjun cried out.

"Answer the call...and tell him we are waiting for him."

Arjun did as he was told. Then, he gave the phone to Rashika, "He wants to talk to you..."

Scowling, Rashika grabbed the phone, "What are you playing at? We are waiting for you."

"Yes, I know. I am here and I can see you. What I want to know is why you want to see me?" Chaitanya inquired.

"It is about Dharma. If you meet me, I can reveal her whereabouts."

There was a sullen silence. Rashika rolled her eyes, smirking at Arjun.

"Why do you want to tell me her whereabouts? How do you know I am looking for her?"

"Look, I don't have the time to get into the nitty-gritty of how I know this and that. I know you escaped police custody. You have been hovering around the office of Index Fashions, where I happen to be the boss. Now, you get it? If you don't meet me in five minutes, I am leaving and you will never know where Dharma is..."

"I am coming..."

Sighing, Rashika gave the phone to Arjun, "He is coming..."

Moments later, Chaitanya appeared. Rashika was surprised at the sight of the handsome man. She had imagined Chaitanya to be a scary-looking loafer but this man seemed educated and good-looking. He was fair, a little muscular perhaps, and arrogant in every way. His attitude reflected his conceit. Rashika was puzzled over Dharma's rejection of Chaitanya and thought spitefully that Dharma was being over-ambitious if she preferred Maurya over Chaitanya.

Rashika slid out of the car and faced Chaitanya whose lecherous eyes roved over Rashika's face and figure. Arjun considered punching the pompous face of that man.

"Hello, I am Rashika..."

Chaitanya nodded and pushed his palms inside his pockets, waiting for Rashika to continue.

"I hear that you are searching for Dharma. I can tell you where she is, on one condition..."

Chaitanya's eyes widened in scorn and he rasped gratingly, "Well, I don't think you are in any position to dictate terms to me."

"Hey, watch your tongue..." Arjun warned and took a step forward but Rashika held him back.

She pressed, "Look, we know Dharma filed a complaint against you. Regardless of that, I can see true love in your eyes for her. And I am certain that she would be happy with you. I think she has not yet realized her feelings for you."

Rashika's assessment made the desired impact on Chaitanya. He went quiet, acknowledging her wordlessly.

"I will tell you where she is; and when you can get her; but on one promise from you..."

"What is it?" Chaitanya asked.

"You will have to take her away from here and never bring her back to this city. Keep her out of reach from us."

His eyes narrowed at her demand, goading him to question, "Why? What did she do to you?"

Shrugging, she said, "Dharma has become a nuisance to us."