41) The Great Storm

Vasukinath was grilled by the police officers for hours over the complaint of negligent entrustment of the vehicle to his daughter. Since Rashika had been warned for careless driving before twice, she was charged with a criminal offence for rash driving, thereby causing death.

While others gave their two cents worth of advice to Vasukinath, their legal counsellor stayed with Vasukinath through the questioning. Vasukinath wanted the criminal complaint against Rashika to be withdrawn. Along with his lawyer, he tried his best to convince the officers. If he was influential, then Arjun's family was more prominent in the legal circle of associates. It became a tussle of power and influence between the two families; coming down to who wielded more clout.

Maurya persuaded Arjun's family to withdraw the complaint against Vasukinath. The FIR registered against Rashika was criminal which would take its own course hence he or Vasukinath had no say in it.

Finally, after a spate of discussions and stipulations, Arjun's family withdrew the complaint against Vasukinath. They agreed only because Maurya convinced them of its futility.

The police had not yet arrested Rashika due to her hospitalization. However, they did keep a watch over her. Meanwhile, Vasukinath made diabolic plans to escape with his family from the country. If he stayed in the country, and Rashika recovered, it was only a matter of time before the police arrested her for the accident. With the best of lawyers, she might be able to escape detention but it would take years. Vasukinath refused to allow his daughter suffer over her friend's death. He decided that they would flee from the country. When he discussed it with Maurya, he was in for a rude shock. Maurya used the opportunity to make a pact with his mentor. To buy his silence, Vasukinath had to accept Maurya's break-up with Rashika. Maurya had no intention of retaining his power in Krishna Industries. He willingly transferred all his shares to Vasukinath. There were some recriminations, few appeals and many questions from Vasukinath. Nevertheless, he had to accept Maurya's decision of exiting Krishna Industries and breaking all ties with the family. Maurya firmly rejected Vasukinath's pleas to go with them. He was dismayed that Vasukinath had no desire to reprehend his daughter, considering how she deceived both Arjun and Maurya. Instead, he was helping her avoid sentence.

A fortnight later, Maurya relinquished all his stakes in the family business.

************

Kamya in a gorgeous red saree and Brahim in a white and red silk sherwani made a picture-perfect couple. They had written their own wedding vows and planned to deliver them at the traditional ceremony that they had planned at the temple after the civil marriage. They gifted Dharma a framed photo of the three of them in Mohandham. It was taken when they had been sixteen or seventeen. Kamya also gifted Dharma a beautiful crepe saree that she wore for their wedding. Not certain if Maurya would make it, Brahim had invited one of his colleagues too as the second witness for their civil marriage.

Dharma hoped that Maurya would not make it for the wedding. She would be a nervous wreck if he did decide to make his presence. She hadn't been able to get him out of her head since they had parted. She had been pouring over different versions of Rashika's accident that the tabloids carried. Maurya's name was featured frequently. She gathered from the news reports that he was sorting out the legal complications that had arisen after the accident. Apparently, Arjun's family had filed a case against Vasukinath Krishna. Dharma was not aware of the details but she guessed that Maurya was trying to resolve the problems.

Dharma had mailed her resignation to him, also copying it to Sonia. Sonia replied that she would discuss it with Maurya but he hadn't answered Dharma's mail.

The registrar officiated the marriage. When it was time to put down their signatures, Maurya breezed into the room, pleasantly surprising one and all.

"Sorry, I am late..." Maurya apologised running his gaze over all. Not willing to miss an opportunity to see Dharma, Maurya had made note of the day in his organizer. He had been hopelessly waiting for a chance to lay his eyes on her. This morning, she looked too ravishing for his own peace of mind. The pink saree clung to her curves with a sinful glee and the deep cut of the blouse at her back grabbed his attention over and again.