30) The Geoglyph

Bilaval Singh pulled away from the computer screen with a sharply indrawn breath. The skin on his bare arms was tight and tingling with goosebumps. He didn't know how to describe his state of mind. He wanted to call his boss but he remained speechless. He needed water to wet his parched throat but he was rooted to the spot.

Once again, he peered at the satellite image on the screen. With disbelief, he pumped his fists into the air. He had made an astonishing discovery, and when his findings become public, the independent research center would gain immense publicity. His boss would be ecstatic. He captured the images on his phone and mailed them to the director of the research center.

What a discovery he had made! Who would have thought that the simple boy who had never stepped out of his town would find something as astounding as a geoglyph on Indian ground? He was certain that he was going to be named in the annals of Indian history.

The only geoglyph he had heard about in India was the one discovered on Thar desert. They were cluster of sinuous lines found in the Jaisalmer district. The clear-cut geometrical lines and arranged motifs were the largest ever graphical depictions by humans in the world even though they were believed to be only 150 years old.

However, the ones Bilaval discovered on the deforested Baspa valley of Kinnaur district were much older, even if they were not as huge as the ones found on Thar desert. Like the Nazca lines of Peru, the geoglyph Bilaval found that day could be as ancient. What he detected was a huge circle, and inside the circle, there were two lines intersecting each other at the centre.

Due to the river and the grassy slopes, dense with pines and cider trees on the upper valley, it took time for him to discern the design. And yet, he was amazed at the ancient design that had been created on the valley.

Roused beyond words, he called the director of the institute.

***************

At Modhera, Dushyant remarked, "Maurya Verma? Very unique name!"

Maurya quizzed politely, "So, you are here on holiday?"

"No, I am working on something...Thanks to Dharma, I found something that I have been searching my whole life."

Maurya's glance shifted to Dharma, noting her crimson face.

"Remember, I told you about a local hero here," Dharma stated, reminding Maurya of the story she had heard from the caretaker of the temple, "Well, he was looking for Jalindra's cenotaph."

"Are you a historian?" Maurya asked, regarding the classically handsome face of Dushyant. Something about the older man's features nudged a distant memory.

"No, quite the opposite," Dushyant replied, as his phone buzzed. He ignored it and answered, "I am only making a record of important events in history."

"Which period of history?" Dharma asked, her interest piqued by Dushyant's answer.

"Well, I am tracing events that happened more than a thousand years ago."

"Do you have records of the events?"

"No, it is very difficult to find records but we are a perseverant lot. I have been searching for the cenotaph for more than fifteen years and I had almost given up. And suddenly, I find Jalindra's memorial."

"Interesting!"

"Let me not delay you," Dushyant's gaze moved to Dharma, "All the best young lady! I will be there to cheer you."

"Thank you!"

"Do not be afraid of the storm. Learn to sail your ship."

His words boosted Dharma's confidence and she smiled tentatively.