31) The Show-Stopper

Dharma viewed her reflection with cautious eyes. The full skirt was gathered at the waist and it flounced with flourish as it fell to her feet. Made of fine mulberry silk, the azure blue of the centerpiece fabric glowed on Dharma. Dark and bright shades of yellow, green, and orange represented the floral and leafy designs. The blouse in the same fabric buttoned down with tiny potlis in the front, dropped to a deep V at the back. Tiny mirrors dangled from the hem at the sleeves and the waist round of the blouse. Similar to a cropped top, the blouse ended at the midriff. A braided floral hip band was draped on one side of her waist. The crowning glory of the collection was the long scarf that Dharma wore on her head. The long train was filled with motifs that depicted the story of Modhera while the metal threaded heavy border fell over her forehead like a veil.

The show began as the heat rose off the paved platform. The wind shrieked, stripping the trees of leaves. The half-moon rose higher, struggling to peer out of the scattered clouds on the overcast sky. Somewhere close behind the ancient tower, the storm lingered, ambivalent about its course of journey. The contorted streaks of lightning flashed, gleaming on the timeworn temple with luminance. The twilight seemed suspended on tenterhooks, as if it waited with bated breath for the storm to spill out an eternal secret. The guests sighed in pleased anticipation as the enigma of the temple blended with the exotic night, evoking sighs of unfamiliar longings from the river and the surrounding greens.

One after the other, the models walked the ramp, their sway matching the strains of flute, sitar and the beats of tabla. The musical piece that was called the 'the secrets of the cosmos' matched the theme of the show, 'A walkway into the sunny past".

After two rounds of catwalk, the lighting and the music changed. From the backstage, Dharma began to narrate the story of Jalindra while a puppeteer dressed in traditional Kediyu and Chorno entered the arena to welcome the girls who had changed their outfits. They moved from one side to another transversely on the runway. The puppeteer demonstrated Jalindra's story through his art to the girls who sashayed around him. Dharma had added a twist to the story by concluding that Jalindra had been waiting for the love of his life and many decades later, he stumbled upon her as she walked out of the sun temple. She recited the verse that had been found on the cenotaph. Thereafter, Dharma handed the microphone to Sonia and prepared to make the grand entrance as the show-stopper.

*************

Maurya sat with the guests on the first row, however at the sound of the rumbling sky, he excused himself and strolled to the end at the back. He felt an unspoken tension and deduced that he was feeling edgy due to the weather. Yet, like the building up of a climax, he sensed the advent of something very significant.

So far, the show was moving at a fabulous pace and Dharma's narration about Jalindra had captured everyone's attention. One more round of display and then it would be time for the centre-piece and finale. He had learnt earlier that Jina had fallen sick, and expected Dharma to display the final piece.

The lights went off for a second, plunging the area into darkness. A moment later, they were switched on, illuminating the steps of Sabha mandapa, the spotlight zoomed on the entrance.

Dharma stepped out of the Sabha Mandapa and descended down the steps with stunning poise. Her long skirt glittered as the special effects of the lighting focussed on her. With her hands on her hips, she posed at the midpoint of the runway.

Like a demigoddess, her compelling aura struck one with its power and effortless grace.

A standing ovation restored her confidence. Maurya was reminded of the first time he saw her in Parijatpur. Then, he had felt a sense of déjà vu. Now, he felt as if he had known her all his life. Dharma reached the end of the ramp and pivoted on her heels unhurriedly as she displayed the headscarf. While she perched on the edge of one side of the Kund, a bolt of electrical discharge across the sky lit up Dharma's face. There was a collective gasp of consternation from the audience. Following the stroke of lightning, the crashing sound of thunder resonated from somewhere nearby.