Epilogue

The next morning, Dharma, Maurya, and Dushyant made their way to the forest. Owing to the fact that the gale had crossed the mountains, and was hovering across the state border, it was a windy day. In a day or two, a gust of wind was expected to blow over the region.

As the dark woods yawned open to them and the naked earth gave glimpses of giant roots that had taken refuge in the forest long ago, Dharma's fingers sought Maurya's instinctively. Their skin brushed each other's, allaying their fears and soothing their nerves with comfort.

The kind of forest that Dharma had seen or been to before was only on the outskirts of Parijatpur. Those woods had not been inaccessible; however, there was a stillness here that was disquieting.

The desolation of the forest affected them as soon as they entered the area. Nevertheless, the familiarity that invaded Dharma surprised her. She felt as if she had known the woods all her life. The unease that had clutched Dushyant when he last visited the forest seemed futile that particular day. He guessed it was probably due to the presence of Dharma and Maurya.

"Who had the heart to burn down such an enormous forest? And then we keep complaining about environmental degradation," Maurya grumbled, shocked by the withered jungle and scorched earth.

Their feet crunching over the dried debris ricocheted around the deserted land. Like a firebolt, a cluster of impressions burst forth in Dharma's head; a flourishing forest where long canopies of trees giving shelter to many; billowing whorls of smoke drifting towards the blue sky; a ring of fire inside which she was trapped. The flickers of images appeared in flashes. She wasn't sure if they were pictures, she had seen somewhere, or recollections from her childhood.

Retracing her thoughts back to the present, Dharma trailed after Maurya and Dushyant. At places, charred stumps protruded from the ground. If one was not careful, one could get hurt by the sharp edges of the charcoal sticks. As they ventured deeper into the forest, it grew darker. The forest seemed bare of any spirits or life forms. The savagery of the early act destroyed not only the forest but the entire ecosystem. None of the habitants had escaped the brutality.

The three of them made their way through thorny and sun-dried bushes, decayed and uncultivable land.

"Is this Alaka?" Maurya asked, his heart weighing heavily at the sight of such devastation.

"This is the forest that had been a significant part of the kingdom. The river Yakshagni passes through this forest. I am taking you there," Dushyant explained.

"The flames must have engulfed the forest completely."

"It is believed that the fire raged for years. None of the citizens or army could rescue it. Those who tried to extinguish the fire had been swallowed by the flames."

"It must have been a terrible time in the kingdom," Dharma reflected aloud.

"Apparently, the air in Alakapuri, that was the capital of Alaka, had become so toxic by the forest fire that people had begun to leave in exodus. The city was abandoned without delay," Dushyant stated what he had learnt from his forefathers.

Dharma tried to catch a glimpse of the sky and hence, she did not see the jutting driftwood. She would have tripped over it if Maurya had not grabbed her waist in time.

"Watch out. It is sharp..." he warned, steadying her.

A bird fluttered across the area, flapping its wings, its shriek amplified by the quietness of the forest. Startled by the sound, they paused and let their gazes drift around the woods.

"Do you know, Yakshis are dwellers of the forest? I think I must have lived here. Everything here seems homely to me, and I can vaguely recall images of animals grazing here," Dharma professed to Maurya. "I feel my friends could have been giant trees and mammals that might have protected me from sinister humans."