26) Déjà vu

"Why not?" Shankaran asked Dushyant.

"Well, all these theories about the ancient rising and regaining the lost glory are exalted thoughts. They don't mean anything to me. I believe in a pragmatic approach to everything. History is not some 'lost and found' object. The glory comes first and degradation follows it. Subsequent generations of rulers learn from the mistakes of their forefathers and move with the times. However, if there was a secret buried somewhere in the past which is detrimental to our posterity, then we do have to find it."

"Right! Still, it intrigues me that there existed a wormhole in those times."

"A wormhole might have existed even billion years ago. But as a theory, it came to light based on a special solution of the Einstein field Equations. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass and energy corrupt the fabric of space-time and an unusual arrangement of matter and energy allows the formation of a tunnel, a shortcut between two otherwise distant fractions of the universe. It is said that a wormhole can connect a billion light years or short distances like a few light years or even different points in time. Its two ends are separate points in spacetime."

"So, this river had a wormhole and it could be present even now, Isn't it?"

"Unless the river has disappeared," Dushyant noted.

"Agreed! Is this the secret that your family is honour bound to discover?"

"Yes, this is it but there were also many more stories associated with our past, like the prophecy of a love that was written on the banks of an immortal river; although I am not fully aware of it."

"Dushyant, your ancestors had such colourful lives, so many secrets, prophesies! Interesting."

"True! There is always a story or an anecdote to be shared when there is a family gathering. Most of my family members think that he or she is a reincarnated version of a bygone king or queen. You must see their attitude," Dushyant went on to paint a queer picture of his family, evoking rich laughter from Shankaran.

Next morning, they made one last trip to Saraswathi Mahal before they left Thanjavur. They were able to collect more information on River Maitsaya than River Yakshagni, probably due to the fact that Maitsaya was a later name for Yakshagni.

They noted down the tributaries of River Maitsaya and the towns built on their banks. One of the tributaries of River Maitsaya was River Pushpavati on whose bank, the town of Modhera rose.

**************

"So, he followed you from office and got into your auto?" Kamya's eyes expressed her outrage.

Dharma was narrating her ordeal to her friends. She had gone straight to office from Maurya's apartment in the morning; fuming at the way he had offered the painting as a gift to her.

"How long is he going to stay in the lock up?" Brahim inquired.

"Until the next hearing..."

"Seriously, the man must be locked up in a mental institution," Brahim sputtered in indignation.

"What if he is let off before that? How safe are you Dharma?" Kamya raised a point that troubled her.

"We have to take a chance. I can't be frightened of him all the time."

"I agree," Brahim admitted.

Kamya deliberated if it was the right time to share the good news with Dharma.

"I am going for a wash..." Brahim announced, tossing an uncertain look at Kamya. Thrusting her problems aside, Dharma paid heed to their exchange of glances and let her eyes drift over Kamya's face. There was a new found joy in her visage.