{Chapter 10}

Jace

Thoran is nonexistent as the men around us begin receiving multiple wounds. I struggle to track when to jump in. The ongoing threat of me potentially harming Thorian in the process of trying to aid him grows each time he takes a jab with no words to follow. Liliana watches in a small taunt, nearly smiling as her men fall to the ground. All of this is amusing to her. Amusement means she lacks fear. If there is no fear then we have absolutely no upper hand right now and she knows it.

"Thoran stop," I say in a stern voice, letting a small lick of my magic jump out to try and navigate where the boy could have gone.

"No, don't. I would love to see you try and harm me with my own magic, truly," Liliana says, looking me over with a look of distaste as I force myself forward.

I feel around for Thoran, letting the men around me crumble to the ground before they can touch me. I scan my surroundings wildly. Nothing is sticking in my mind. She's purposefully trying her best to confuse me.

"What happens when you take two weak men and dangle the life of one female in front of them?" Liliana questions.

I turn to look her way, feeling all of my hair rise as she no longer stands perched next to the tree. I watch as Thoran removes the hood from his body, leaving just his head as his eyes widen with fear.

"Behind you-"

I turn on my heels. There is no time to react to Lilaina's swift motion. Her face looks less soft now as she drives the large bone knife into my side. I clench my jaw in pain as I try and refocus my energy on her.

"If I twist, I might tear something. Is she close enough to her lover to get the help she needs? Or will she bleed out?" Liliana questions.

I feel myself shove her away, watching her head fly back with a smile at the small push. Thoran is already trying to move to her, keeping his now exposed arm fully out as he points a wand at her.

"You'll have to do better than that Pierce," Lilana says, waving her hand as Thornan's wand goes flying to the ground.

The pain in my side only escalates with her growing fear. I can fear a hint of her panic as I try my best to heal the wound. In most scenarios, this would be a simple fix, but the bone on the knife she decided to use was charmed to make sure whatever pain it inflicts lasts.

I stare at Liliana and Thoran feeling a small sense of relief as the wound slowly closes. Rowan is still with Eden. She's safe. Angrily I glance at the tear in my shirt feeling an indescribable need to bury Liliana's face into the ground as I kill her with her own knife.

She looks to me now as if she is daring me to try.

Rowan

Everything feels slower when you don't know what you're running after. It was much easier to face danger head-on when I didn't have so many people I cared about. There was a certain peace in knowing only my life was at stake all those years ago when I worked under Andrew. Now it feels like there isn't enough of me to protect all of the family I have tucked away under my belt. She runs with a small stagger as she tries to regain her balance. Whatever wound Jace got was deep and quick. She quickly forced herself up and after me despite my plea to have her wait in the meadow. I know better than to question her strength, but something about her recently has me wanting to keep everything and everyone away from her. I have to protect her. I have to keep her safe.

"Up there-" Eden Mutters keeping her hand close to her side as she moves in step with me.

I see two figures on the ground, both of them stomach down. Each one has their head pressed into the dirt scrambling to try and raise to their feet. The closer I approach the more clear it becomes who those two figures are. Jace and Thoran frantically claw at the ground, trying their best to pull themselves to their feet. Eden looks them over with worry. Her hand clutches her wand with a shake. Carefully we approach the utter unknown.