{Chapter 60}

The time of seclusion, years ago

Dove

365 days. 365 days I have been stuck behind this ward. 365 days I have seen nothing more than my front lawn and whatever my eyes can reach beyond the rolling hills. Initially, when my mom and dad said they were putting the family into seclusion I had assumed it would be nothing more than a week. Then a week turned into months. And now we are here. A year of non-stop questioning on when why the days seem to grow longer even when the ward extends by a few feet. My body shakes as I allow myself to sit in the brisk air. The very space around me is filled with nothing but familiarity.

"What are you doing?" Grayson questions as I sit on the porch. I hold the mug close to me, feeling its warmth press against my cold palms.

"What am I always doing?" I question with a small shake of my head. He takes a seat next to me as he draws in a deep breath.

"Your mom said we're getting closer to being able to bring down the ward, although Caroline doesent believe her too much," Grayson says.

I scoff at the idea of us leaving.

"She has been saying that every month since Thea put it up. It almost feels like a treat to get to go on grocery runs with my father," I mutter as I press my hand over my eyes.

"Sometimes I feel as if the evils they speak of are all in their head. None of it seems real at times," Grayson mutters with a large sigh.

"The evils aren't real Grayson. None of it is real. If someone truly wanted to kill my family and I, don't you think they would have by now?" I question.

"Maybe youre right... there's no way this lasts much longer. Even your mother seems to be going mad from all of the seclusion," Grayson says.

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small satchel. I pass over his eyes with curiosity as he leans back into the steps behind him. I stare at the small vial dropper filled with the putrid liquid.

"Your mom said you forgot your medicine this morning-" Grayson begins as I scowl at the dropper. "Don't blame me, I am simply the messenger," he reiterates as I give him a long look of hesitance.

"Sometimes I am convinced it is only making me weaker," I mutter as I down the putrid liquid. It clings to my tongue like venom from a snake. "I feel drained every time I take it," I whisper as I lean into his touch

"I doubt it's doing that. You know it's for your episodes. Your highs and lows are quite a sight to see," He says as I retain my utter lack of emotions about most things. The only feeling I seem to be able to get a grasp on these days is my anger.

"Hey kids," My mom's voice says silently.

I turn to meet her cam expression, before looking back to the hills entirely.

"Hey Eden," Grayson says for the both of us.

"Dovey?" She questions as I angrily toss her the vial.

"Hi Mom," I mutter as my anger towards our present situation only grows.

"Rough day?" My mom questions Grayson. I don't even try and see if he has nodded or not.

"What do you expect when you keep us locked here all the time?" I question with a snap. My mom's eyes fill with sadness as if she is at odds with herself.

"Honey, I want you to join me in town all the time. You are no prisoner here. We just can't have you running around until we know it's safe-"

"Yeah and where is this friend you swear will come back to help protect us?" I question as I shoot to my feet. My anger rises as I look over my mother's frazzled expression of anger. I move toward the ward as I drive my fist into its hazy reflection. I feel my knuckle collide with the painful magic. Not once does any part of me slip past the magic ward.