{Chapter 58}

Tom

Adam slowly rocks in his seat as he listens to the thuds against the wooden wall. I keep my ears covered as I try and remain optimistic despite the noises I know Jace is making sure everyone hears. Adam looks amused as he swirls his glass of bourbon. I let my eyes land on him as he finally met my haunted expression.

"You're not going to stop them?" I question with a great deal of aggravation. My elbows are pressed against his office chair as he lets out a long sigh.

"I need them both satisfied and happy. You being pissed off about not getting your way is only an added bonus in the situation," Adam says with another coy grin.

"The High Table is convinced. Why let them run around and do what they want? You know those binds won't hold either of them long enough-"

"Don't you think I know that? I am buying time. I need their parents here; the only way I am doing that is by distracting their minds with matters as trivial as sex. Tear people apart long enough and the haze of hormones is enough to cloud anyone's judgment," Adam says with a long inhale. 

"What do you need with the others? I thought these four were enough," I say. I slowly lower my hands as her loud whimpers finally die out.

"I can't get her to trust anything I say without some persuasion. The Visionary Andrew left behind so kindly told me of the Hawthorn's meeting with it in exchange for only a few feet more added to its barrier. It spilled its guts like a whore in church when it got five more feet of freedom. If we want Dove, we need Jace," Adam says as he finally downs the rest of his glass.

"So what do you propose then?" I question.

"Did you know mother and daddy dearest locked the poor girl away for years and were the very people who kept hinting to the table on Jace's whereabouts in order to keep him away from their daughter? The worst part is they thought that was more humane than letting fate set its course. The minute Jace met her lips the prophecy had already begun," Adam says. He tips his liquor bottle only to refill his glass. I watch him move as he begins to pour another I can only assume it's for me.

"You speak so much of fate. What fate is it that you hold?" I question with a small scan over his face. He looks perplexed by the question as he scans the room.

"If you are speaking of what Liliana said I will not lie to you. It is said I will die by your hand, Tom. It says you will be the very downfall to the lives of most on the table as you fall down a dark path,"

I see something lingering behind his eyes at the statement.

"There's more to it isn't there?" I question as he clenches his jaw.

"There is... but it doesn't mean it makes sense,"

"Well let me hear it," I mutter as I move to grab the drink.

He drags it away, letting his finger shake as he scans me up and down.

"It is said a child might be your undoing. A babe to be exact. All these years building an empire, only to be brought down by a baby who could survive an unforgivable,"

"Thats-that's not possible," I whisper as I take in his words.

"yes, that is also why I have deemed it illogical," Adam mutters.

"Dove was said to be the beginning of your undoing if not your salvation. In many ways maybe her parents locking her away and hiding her boy toy from her created the girl with the fire we need. It's funny how avoiding fate sometimes makes us create it," Adam says with a small laugh.

"What did you say?" Jace's tense voice questions from behind us.

"Which part? The part where your lover's parents manipulated you both or the part where a child is supposedly going to take down my empire?" Adam says as Jace's angered body only grows closer.