{Chapter 56}

Dove

Tom's touch lingers on my own as his calloused palm presses into my soft one. Adam rises from his seated position at the table as he raises his long arms. All of the other members of the table rise as they hold their champagne classes. Caroline and Grayson look over my stoic expression with worry as Tom turns his head to look at me. I have to stomach the gag residing behind my mouth the moment he presses his lips to my own. Their warmth is nothing short of a brand-scorching the ass of a cow.  With a smile, I pull away. Without looking I can tell Jace's hands are clenched as he is forced to witness the sight in front of him. The members of the table all wear varying elegant ensembles. Each one of them hides behind a mask I know they think is protecting them from my searing eyes.

"Take a seat, my children," Adam says as he motions to the three open seats around the table. I give him a small nod as Tom moves us closer to the open chairs. With a small drag, he pushes out my chair before sliding into the one next to me. Jace wastes no time taking the other seat next to me. A few members shoot him a sideways look before turning back entirely.

"Who's the boy?" A man says with a poke at the questionable food on his plate.

"That is Jace. Hard to recognize with all that mass he's put on huh?" Adam says with a flashy grin.

Caroline and Grayson hesitantly eat their food as Tom's hand remains on top of mine as they rest on the large spanning table.

"So Dove, tell us. In what way do you play a part in ending our mud-blood situation?" A man finally questions.

I see Lilaina's figure leaning against a far-away wall. Her head is down as she holds a small pitcher of water. Already Adam begins to toss her away like trash.

"I could kill everyone around this table," I mutter as I focus my attention  back on the conversation. I feel my magic strain against my binds as I continue speaking, "The only reason I can do that despite my binds is the pure magic that runs through my veins. What happens when we begin to tarnish that bloodline with mundane blood?" I question as I stomach the nasty viewpoints.

"For all we know you are as useless as your mother was-" the same man begins.

"Tread carefully on how you speak to her," Jace snaps. Tom offers a slow nod as the two men narrow their eyes at the masked figure.

"Who are you to talk boy?" The man snaps at Jace.

"He will be alleviating Liliana's duties. I suggest you speak with him with the same respect you gave her," I hiss. Adam sits back in enjoyment as he watches the sight in front of him.

"You speak so much on how much you can do, what if-" The man begins once more.

My patience has cracked as I drag myself over the table. With a quick grab of his head, I am forcing it down into the mahogany. With a tear, his mask hits the floor beneath his feet. His wide brown eyes watch me as I hold him still. Despite my lack of magic I still have the upper hand. I allow my body to lean over the table in a full display.

"Jace, can I please have my knife?" I question, not once bothering to see the smile I know lingers on Adam's face. Even Liliana has lifted her head to the sight. Jace's hand drags up my thigh before pulling the blade free from its sheath along my upper thigh. His eyes shoot Tom a taunting look as he pulls the blade away from the one side I had made sure only Jace could touch. He hands me the blade with a press to my palm. I let its tip waver on the man's face as all the other members watch in surprise.

"What's one less ignorant wizard Tom?" I question to the man behind me. His eyes pull away from my legs as he crosses his arms. Jace leans back in his chair with a small grin. Even Caroline smiles at the fear coating each member's face.