{Chapter 12}

Jace

I spin the small silver key on my finger. It shines brightly as it begs us to utilize it in every way possible. They had trusted me to hold onto it for reasons beyond my understanding. In some way, this is their small gesture to let me know I have gained some trust. That and the lack of binds around my wrists have really made me lighten my mood, especially when in regard to the fiery redhead. It has been a few hours since Eden and Rowan's revelation. He has been racking his brain, trying his best to comprehend how he can be a good father if he is a father at all. Thoran took the news with great surprise and Sebastain... well he just eyed me down the whole time acting as if I was going to say or do something vile. I can't say I blame him.

I look outside to the porch, watching Rowan's figure slowly rock in a wooden chair as he holds Eden in his lap. She is fully passed out. Her exhaustion came quickly after her revelations. He decided to take her outside and hold her as a small shower of rain welcomed the evening. They look peaceful as they rock. He holds her so close, looking at her in utter admiration. He has everything I have ever wanted. Someone to love. Someone who looks at me like I'm, not a monster. She does do that, whether she realizes it or not.

"You've been standing here awfully long," Thoran says, taking a stand next to me as I take in the positions of the others. Althea and Seb are passed out on the couch. They hold one another close as they grab onto one another with love. Ominis leans into Thoran's hand, curling up on a small chair by the fire as Thoran slowly works his way over the blonde's face. I look to Eden's twin. Their similarities are striking yet so different.

"I didn't want to break up the moment," I admit, watching his rock continue.

"You won't. I don't think Rowan minds your company," Thoran says, grasping my shoulder with a small smile. It's the first genuine smile I've seen on his face toward me. I let my mouth gently curl into a small smile, watching his eyebrows raise in amusement.

"What?" Thoran questions, cocking his head as he watches me.

"You were kind. I'm not used to it," I settle on saying, leaving him alone as I move closer to the back door. With a small swing of the screen door, I step outside.

I draw in a deep breath of the rain rid air letting it fill my lungs in satisfying waves. Rowan's eyes glance up at me slowly.

"She's exhausted, dont worry about whispering," Rowan says, letting his fingers brush over her cheeks as I grab a nearby stool. Quietly I drag it over, allowing myself to hover as I watch her gentle sleep rid state.

"I'm terrified," Rowan says, keeping his slow rock with a bounce of his leg.

"Killing one of the wizarding world's greatest evils with a pregnant fiance would be terrifying," I admit, trying my best not to show how much her being pregnant worries me as well.

"Eden told me that the Malfoy man uttered something to her in passing. It's been racking my brain," he admits.

"What did he say?" I question.

"That Tom Riddle would walk side by side with a Pierce. He insinuated it would be Eden," Rowan says, keeping his eyes forward as I take in his words with a sigh.

"Liliana told us all of a Pierce that would be the wizarding world's downfall or uprising. I used to think it was Eden too. Now I know that's not the case, and I think Liliana has as well," I admit, letting my eyes linger on the woman's stomach.

"If she is pregnant, your child will be the most sought after for their magic by all the evils of this world," I admit.

Rowan looks distraught, running his hands over her stomach gently.