{Chapter 17}

Eden

Jace sits with his legs hanging from the deck. Ever since he branded himself and me with the hot prod in order to stop the bleeding he has been silent. In a state of panic, Rowan delivered him a blow to get him to stop inflicting more pain on Dove and me. I had failed to tell Row what Jace and I had done in order to protect Dove. I know he's angry I did not confide in him. I wanted to. I wanted to tell him all of it. Everything I say to him these days only adds to his stress. I feel at a certain point it will all be too much for him. I dont want there to be a point at which he breaks. Thoran had decided to take Row and Seb out for a walk to ease the tension in the air. Ominis and Althea have graciously been baking sweets of all varieties to distract their minds from all that had unfolded. It was only a few moments ago Jace had woken up. He huffed outside, taking my jar of tea with him before tossing it on the ground. There is a great battle going on in Jace's mind that I wish I could fix. Everything feels as if it's crumbling around me and I have no way to fix it.

I give Ominis and Althea a small look before pulling myself closer to the open door to the deck. Althea gives me a small nod. I know it's her way of encouraging me to go outside and join him. I run my hand over the fresh scar now on my lower stomach. Thankfully Althea's herbs were for the most part effective in easing the pain. He does not once raise his head at the sound of my feet hitting the deck. His head stays lowered as the tea coats the ground with a variety of spiced herbs. I lower myself with a grunt next to him. The pain still lingers if I move just the right way. I notice now my stomach lies slightly less flat. It's not enough for most to notice other than me.

"She charmed the tea," Jace says. His jaw stays clenched as he peers at the ground.

My heart drops at his remark. I feel an instant wave of fear come over me at his notion.

"What do you mean?" I question, trying my best not to fall into a fearful state.

Jace pulls his head up toward the sky, letting his jaw relax as he draws in a deep breath. I see the bruises encase his jaw in a variety of colors. He looks so far from the boy always ready to make a joke.

"Liliana cursed the tea so Dove will hate me. It's a spell similar to the one that hid your mind from Rowan for so long," Jace says. There is genuine pain in his voice at the remark.

"You said you were going to leave," I state. His head turns as he looks at me. His expression is filled with nothing but distress the longer he watches me.

"I'm going to fall in love with her. The Elder Wand showed Liliana and it showed me. Both realities had a future in which I was in Dove's life. Both good and bad. Love is what drew her away from Tom and without it-" He stops choking himself up the longer he looks at me.

I have no time to react as he draws himself in. His lips press down on mine in a soft motion. They are warm and filled with a certain need. I immediately back away feeling my cheeks fluster as I push myself several feet away. I grasp the railing of the stairs, pulling myself to my feet as I cover my mouth with my hand. He closes his eyes as he looks away. His hands clench as he angrily tries to refocus.

"Why did you do that?" I question, trying my best not to worry.

"I thought maybe I could trick myself into believing that these feelings I have are for you," He says in a small whisper. "Ever since I first saw you, I had a need to be around you. I wanted to be around you and I didnt know why. When I kissed you just then I felt nothing at all. When I saw her in the vision I felt everything all at once," He mutters. A small tear travels down his cheek as he angrily wipes it away.

"You can never do that again," I say. Shakily I draw in a breath.

"I won't," He mutters, keeping his eyes low as he stares forward toward the forest.