{Chapter 25}

Eden

Liliana's hand presses into my shoulder as she shoves me ahead of her. My feet hit the floor as I try to hold my balance. My face is filled with pain as my head pounds from dehydration. Stability is nothing more than a word to me right now. I take in the sights around me. A small indoor body of water sits peacefully still in front of me. It is no more than five feet deep. Its water is a deep blue, much like that of the sky on a clear summer day. I eye the water with watery eyes as the man and Liliana eye me down. Rowan's looming figure stays watching me as he also takes in the space around him.

"Its holy water mixed with the fragmented powder of one of one of the first resurrection stones. It has served the high table well. It has one last go in it before its reserve is...all used up," Liliana says with a small smile. I slowly swallow as I look behind me. My feet are inches away from the water's edge. One wrong move and I am in.

"Why not have him dip in? I'm assuming elder also applies to your depleting complexion" I question toward the man Liliana had dragged in with her. He smiles as I make the crude remark.

"Using it on me would be a waste. We would not want another misuse of its gifts like we had faced with Jace," The man says. I lower my eyes at the mention of the man who has worked so hard to change others perceptions of himself. My eyes shift once more to Rowan. His eyes are dead set on the older gentleman. His body only grows closer to the pair. 

"I am curious-" He says with a low tone, "Why throw away your whole family for one boy? Why shun everything my people and your parents gave you? You had power Eden. Why run from that?" The Elder questions.

I can't help but laugh at his brash statement. How can he stand here and genuinely question my morality?

"I didn't throw away anything," I mutter. I clench my hands in and out as I peer at his stout figure. "I protected my real family. That includes Jace," I say. Liliana's eyes narrow at the mention of him.

"And how's protecting your family working out for you now?" Liliana questions as she points a manicured nail toward my stomach.

"Pretty well-" Rowan says with a low snarl.

The Elder gasps with wide eyes as Rowan's hand drives through his chest from behind. Liliana's eyes widen as she takes in what's happening. I see now the elder wand and cloak sitting on raised pedestals against the closest wall. Rowan's eyes fill with pure anger as he delivers blow after blow to the already dead man. Liliana carefully begins backing away from Rowan's feral figure. We both lock eyes with the hallows with looks of pure intent. Simultaneously we begin a dead sprint for the devices. I can see her blonde hair collide with my peripherals as she begins a slow drag of my dress toward her.

Rowan's eyes dart up to the scene unfolding in front of him. His body is nothing but a blur in my vision as he grasps Lilaina with open arms. Her hand pulls away from my dress as once more I stumble forward. I feel my palms wrap around each device. I am careful to utilize the cloak to hold the wand in hopes to not get any unwanted visions right now. Slowly but surely I turn on my heels. Rowan is cracking his fist against Liliana's face. She lets out a shrill cry toward the door we came from. I can hear the voices of others as they slowly begin shouting beyond the door. I eye Rowan with wide eyes as he looks to me with worry.

"You are making a big mistake child," Lilliana begins. Rowan hits her again. I see now his hand shakes as he pushes back her magic as best he can. His hand is bloodied as he continues delivering blows.

"Don't -" She tries to begin another statement. She does her best to hold back his bloodied fist as he yells at her with a haunting scream.

"You will never touch them again!" Rowan yells. He grabs her throat forcing her head up and down with firm grasps.