{Chapter 39}

Dove

I feel the tension rid the air the longer I stand tapping my foot in Jace's living room. Jace and Caroline observe the acceptance letter closely as I bite anxiously at my nails. I can't look at Jace for more than a few seconds before my mind floods with countless thoughts and emotions I can hardly control. Every part of me wants to push him farther. I want him to look at me again like he did when he loomed over me. His having control meant everything and only made me want to take it back from him entirely. I want to defy him in every way possible while he forces me to listen. Everything with that mindset is wrong-

"Dove," Grayson's voice says as I finally refocus on the conversation with a small jolt of my body. I pull my fingers away from my mouth as I finally focus on the conversation. All of them look to me, especially Jace who I can only picture shirtless now as if I am seeing him for the first time entirely. I can feel his own emotions as he looks me over. It's a pure feral want that I am doing everything in my power to shove down as hate and anger fill my mind.

"What?" I question, letting my eyes stay on Grayson despite Jace's lowered eyes watching me.

"Did Tom tell you anything that might indicate he knew you were onto him?" Grayson questions with a small shrug of his shoulder. I ponder the question as I reflect on the words we exchanged. My mind gravitates toward the image of his perfect brown hair and large dimples as Jace lets out a small scoff. I let my eyes snap to him as I realize he can feel what I am reflecting on. I raise an eyebrow, letting my mind explore Tom's features more as Jace lets out a frustrated noise.

"What's wrong-" Caroline begins. He cuts her off.

"She has nothing. He was too busy gawking at her to notice how startled she was by his presence," Jace says with a small roll of his eyes. All Grayson can do is nod as I cross my arms.

"Just because he's evil doesent mean he wasnt easy on the eyes," I admit with full honesty. Jace grips the chair tighter as he draws in a small breath.

Grayson glances at Jace, allowing himself to quickly shift away once the blonde snaps his head in his direction.

"We have an advantage then," Caroline says after a few moments of silence. We both look her over with widened eyes as she watches us. All of us wait for her to elaborate on what she means.

"Tom is going to introduce himself as Dan to others. Their not silly enough to actually go around the school parading his real name when Lilaina knows damn well some of the professors there would stop at nothing to kill him,"

"And a student," Jace says, directly referring to himself.

"My parents?" I question as Caroline slowly nods.

"They dont need to know. The fewer people that know about Tom the better. As far as Liliana knows you are still fully influenced by her magic and all that it did. She doesn't know you know about Tom," Caroline says witty crossed arms.

"What are you asking her to do?" Jace questions finally. His eyes are now fully on Caroline.

"Play nice with Riddle. Get close. Convince him you will stand by him," Caroline says after a few moments. Jace's jaw tenses up as my eyes slowly move up to him.

"And then?" I question.

"And then I kill him. I rip him apart and burn him with Lilaina," Jace says with a small glance at his nail beds. I can now see just how tormented they are with nail biting.

"Convince Tom I am on his side?" I question with a slow shake in my voice.

"Do you have a better plan?" Grayson finally questions.