{Chapter 41}

Jace

Sunlight brushes over my eyelids as I slowly wake from my deep sleep. I feel the warmth of the sunrays permitting through the window as my eyes slowly begin to open. I feel a feeling of weight on my chest as my eyes finally fly fully open. My panic stops immediately the moment I see Dove's restful state sprawled across my chest. Her mouth is slightly open as her face stays pressed against my torso. Her hand clings to my side as her palm presses against my scars. Her hair runs down the span of her back as movement sounds off within my living room. I feel my hand gravitate toward her face as I gently stroke her lips. I trail my thumb along her cheeks as I pull up the blanket higher to cover her chilled legs. Slowly I begin to move as I pull myself away from her. I feel the small smile encapsulate my face as I gently lay her down on the sheets. With a small lean I gently press my lips to the top of her head with closed eyes. She silently sleeps as I whisper in her ear.

"Please dont hate me when you wake," I mutter with a clenched jaw as I silently move away from the bed. I let the cool air brush over my bare torso as I move through the room. With a slight nudge, I move past the bedroom door. Grayson and Caroline's eyes gravitate toward me as they both shoot me questioning glances. I cross my arms as I watch their confusion grow. Both of them are standing as if they were deep in conversation.

"What -"

"We dont know where Dove is," Caroline says in a worried tone. I close my mouth immediately as I process her words.

"She's fine," I mutter as I move closer to my kitchen. I ignore their small scoffs as I grab a nearby mug. I smell the brew of fresh coffee as they begin to trail behind me.

"So where is she then?" Grayson questions with a small lean into my counter. I look over my shoulder at the pair as they scan my body.

"Trying to take a mental picture?" I question with a hint of annoyance.

"Long night?" Caroline questions as she touches my side.

I flinch away as I take notice of the small nail marks etching my side in the places I had not realized she had grabbed me during my exploration of her.

My bedroom door slowly creaks open as we all turn to Dove's dazed expression in the doorway. She's gripping the bottom of my shirt as she forces it farther down her body. Her crimson face meets my coy expression as I let off a small smirk. Grayson and Caroline exchange a look before looking back at Dove.

"H-hey guys," She says with a small waver in her voice. Her hands stay holding down her shirt as I look her over with raised eyebrows.

"Are you serious?" Caroline questions toward me as I give her a small raise of my shoulders.

"She was cold," I say with a long sip of the coffee.

"Rowans going to kill you," Grayson says with a large roll of his eyes.

Caroline looks a bit off-put as she looks her feined over with a stern look. Silently she moves away from the group, allowing herself to move back to her room as Dove follows behind her. I can tell by both of the women's faces they are about to have a long conversation. With one last look, Dove gives me a small smile that fills me with hope of how much she truly wanted last night to happen. With a slam, Caroline shuts the door. Grayson turns with a wide-eyed expression toward me.

"Did you sleep with my niece?" Grayson questions with crossed arms. I slightly nudge him as he reminds me of the relationship he has with Dove.

"I wish you wouldn't say it like that, and no. You'd be able to tell," I mutter with a small smile. He fakes a gag as he swipes a mug from my cabinets.