{Chapter 30}

8 Months Later

Eden

I brush my hands over my stomach feeling each small kick Dove delivers to me every time I poke certain parts of my stomach. It has been a while since I've been able to see my toes, let alone sleep comfortably. I used to think I would dread the cramps and all of the sickness that came with growing a life. I have come to realize it's one of my greatest comforts knowing her heart beats strong each time she readjusts herself inside of me. It has been weeks of me living in the loosest sweaters I can find to stow away the cool chill of fall. All of my clothes started becoming tighter around the tail end of my second trimester. Althea and Rowan have been quite the pair when it comes to allowing the doctor to make their rounds to our house to check the progress of Dove's growth. Liliana has been dead silent for months. Jace and Rowan had scoured her underground quarters for weeks before ultimately deciding she and the rest of the High Table were long gone. Althea and Seb worked hard to conjure up a spell on all of the hallows with hopes of keeping them hidden and tucked away in the small nook of our house.

Thoran and Ominis have been slowly incorporating Maggie's small bakery into a hybrid shop for all of the pottery and plant supplies Ominis and Althea had decided to start dabbling in. Thoran has been a large emotional support for the pair. I know he is just happy to see Ominis dive deep into a passion for once. With a great deal of hesitation, I took a step away from schooling, finally allowing myself to focus on my home and Rowan. I hope to return, but not as a student. Mariah comes over often with Grayson. His finger paintings still line the wall of Dove's room. Each time he comes over he only has ideas on what to make her next. Jace's project with Rowan on her door quickly turned into the entire nursery. A mural of varying trees and animals coats the wall in beautiful detail. He had initially just started with flowers, until eventually, he moved on to tackling some of Rowan's more challenging drawing prompts.

Seb and Althea have finally managed to dive into school, allowing themselves to enjoy their less crowded space as they go on about their escapades inside the school. Occasionally I will slip inside with her to see Fig or Mariah, but my bump makes it much harder to conceal myself from the more judgemental stares. Ominis pushed Thoran to explore the idea of a small loft above one of the shops in Hogsmeade. It didn't take too long after their first time viewing it to accept the offer. Jace has found some comfort in staying in a smaller cabin over the hills a few miles away. Initially, Rowan had challenged him to build something other than a fire with the small plot of vacant land. It quickly turned into a pet project for the pair, resulting in many long nights of grueling labor creating the small quaint cabin. Thoran and Althea almost instantly had some say in how to accessorize Jace's space. I can't say that he gave them much pushback when they helped him create a space for himself I know he always wanted. He's had a few conversations with Rowan about possibly dipping his toe into getting an education. My pregnancy worries them both so much given Liliana's intimidating silence. 

"Did you hear me?" Rowan questions with a perplexed gaze. I sit in the small rocking chair of our living room, silently listening to my own thoughts as the strong smell of bacon fills my nose.

"Hm?" I question, turning fully to face him as Dove delivers a low blow to my ribs. I heave in a breath as she adjusts herself once more.

"I asked you if you wanted some breakfast, looks like she answered my question," Rowan says with a smile. He moves away from the kitchen, letting himself move closer as he places two hands along my stomach. Her feet slightly kick as she senses her father. I can only laugh as he rolls his eyes at her sassiness even inside the womb.

"I look gigantic," I mutter with a small side eye to the mirror in our living room. My hair is much longer now. It sits on top of my head in a giant mess as one of Rowan's shirts covers my front. Despite my want to wear pants, I have resorted to Althea's more comfortable skirts that provide me with much more room to move.