{Chapter 28}

Rowan

Jace is quiet as he retains all of the information I had thrown onto him. His mouth quietly drags the cigarette. The cloud of smoke slowly trails out his nose as it fills the air in a gust of white. His jaw is clenched as he takes in deep breaths. The glass of his drink once full, is now nearly empty.

"Did Eden ingest any of the water?" he questions after a few moments of silently staring forward.

"Some. There was a moment of time when I was forcing some water out of her throat," I say as I reflect on her state after we had woken up from the vision.

"That's how Dove gained the abilities like me. Same with both of you," he says after a few moments. His eyes are closed as he draws in a large breath. His eyes stopped meeting my own once I had shared with him our reality with Dove once we had seen the pair together in the vision. I tried lying to spare his feelings, sadly he saw straight past that.

"I'm not too clear on how the others will get it," Jace finishes. Once again he takes a long drag from the smoke. He's trying his best to fill the hole slowly eating away at his chest.

"Something tells me you ran away from her," I mutter after a few moments. His head snaps my way as a low scowl coats his expression.

"Not exactly a great place to stay if she hates me-" he begins. Quickly I cut him off.

"She said when you first met her you looked past her as if she didnt exist. You were cold to her. You got her out of altercations but could barely look at her," I mutter. I run my hands through my hair, trying my best to piece together a way out of this.

"That sounds like honestly I am sparing myself a great deal of strain on my heart," Jace says with a small laugh.

I see it now. It was the same look when he saw Dove. It's the same look he holds now. Ive seen it in fleeting moments as I pass the mirror. It hides in the deepest parts of our souls.

"Youre scared of how she will see you," I say with a sternness. His eyes waver my way before fully pulling away once more.

"I'm scared how everyone will see me," he says silently.

"Fix it then," I say with crossed arms. His eyes shoot to me as he downs the rest of his drink. A small trickle of scotch runs down his throat as I smash the tail end of my cigarette. A curious grin works up his mouth as if I have said the funniest thing ever.

"Fix what daddio?" He questions with a taunt. Maybe alcohol was not the best choice for him.

"Take the wand. See her... and fix it. We have spent so much time trying to submit and listen to the future the wand gives us. Try not to be the person you know you're not. Fix it," I reiterate with a thought. "We let the wand control us when we touch it. Is that really what you want?" I question with a small taunt. The only way I am getting Jace out of this slump is by giving him some control in this messy situation.

"Nothing controls me... nothing can," Jace says with a fixed jaw. I have him now.

"Then prove it and create your own path,"

***

Jace

I blink away the haze around me as that familiar shift from reality to this future blankets my vision. Rowan is on the other side watching me. His hands are holding my wrists as he helps me navigate the influx in power the wand creates. With him holding me, my episodes of seizing subsides. Even now I can feel a small twang of my power move through my body as I take in deep breaths. I look around to where the wand has launched me once more. It's the same familiar house the Hawthorn's have taken residency in. Even from the outside, I can tell it has had years of gentle care and love. A small well-tamed garden resides in front of the space. That has Althea written all over it. I see a figure sitting next to the side of the house. They wear a large hat as a box playing sound sits next to them. It has a large metal prod sticking from it. The figure messes with dials, switching the sound over to a more peaceful set of music. Their legs are crossed as a flowy summer dress clings to their body. A pencil drags up and down a sketchbook as the figure silently hums to the sweet sounds. With tucked hands, I move closer to the figure. I take in large breaths as I look down at my clothing. A short sleeve black shirt hugs my front. I feel the wild array of blonde curls coating my head as a pair of grey pants hug my legs. I'm wearing black boots. A silver pocket watch hangs from my pocket with a group picture of the others and me that we have yet to take. My eyes stare down at the photo. Each one of us smiles as we point to whoever had taken the photo.