{Chapter 11}

Eden

My hand reaches next to me, feeling nothing but a blanket as I try and navigate the space for Rowan. His spot is empty. I'm not sure at what point he decided to leave. Vaugley I remember him giving me a kiss before slipping away last night, but after he returned I had thought he had stayed with me all the way up until now. I take notice of the shirt I am wearing. At some point, he must have slipped one on me when I got cold in the middle of the night.

"What are you not telling Hawthorn?" Jace's voice questions. I snap my head to the chair by the window. He sits looking at me. His chin is propped on his hands as he watches me.

I move my hands to cover my body, quickly realizing the shirt covers all that I need it to.

"Don't worry I am not trying to see you naked right now," Jace says, keeping his head cocked as he watches me.

"Where is Rowan?" I question.

"Making breakfast. I assume he'll be trying to punch me in about five minutes when he realizes I slipped in here," Jace says, rolling his eyes with great sass.

"Why did you slip in here?" I question, dragging the sheets higher up on my naked legs.

"Last night Hawthorn told me you were in pain. I didnt feel any part of that. So were you lying?" He questions. I reflect on the dull cramp in my stomach.

"I wish people would let that go. I think I ate something bad," I admit, shaking my head as I pull myself to a standing position. The shirt reaches the tops of my knees, concealing any part of me that Jace might try and steal a peek at.

I move to walk past him. He wastes no time to creep his hand under my shirt, feeling my lower stomach as I move to back away. His other hand is already on my lower back to stop me from moving away. I watch him look down at his hand. His touch is warm against my cool skin. I quickly move away from his grasp, finding discomfort in the fact he could see my underwear with that little motion.

"What the hell-" I begin, but he immediately cuts me off.

"Are you late?" He questions, keeping his eyes on me despite Rowan's entrance into the room. Rowan looks ready to toss the man. Quickly his anger dies down the longer he processes the question Jace asked.

"Why would I answer that question after you touched me?" I ask, deflecting as Rowan moves to grab Jace.

Jace holds up his hand, looking over Rowan with wide eyes.

"I sensed something when I felt her stomach. I'm not sure what it was. It's an energy that isn't her own. Wait for her to answer the question before you rip my head off," Jace says, letting his eyes travel to me once more.

"Eden, are you... late?" Rowan questions, moving past Jace with a scowl as I try and process his words.

"Only a day or so-" I take in a sharp breath, smelling a lingering hint of tobacco on both men. It makes my stomach lurch. Immediately I gag turning away from Rowan and toward one of Althea's many plants. I grip the massive pot, feeling my body slowly take in breaths as I stow away the putrid smell.

"I was wondering if that was going to affect her," Jace says, scanning his nails as he looks at Rowan.

"Smoke. You both smell like smoke," I clarify. Rowan hesitantly moves his hand to my back, trying his best to avoid getting too close.

"Jace get to your point," Rowan mutters, keeping his hand on me as I stare into the pot.

"Nausea, food aversions, cramps. Please tell me I dont need to draw it out for you," Jace says, keeping his arms crossed as Rowan clenches his jaw. His eyes meet my own as I turn behind me to look at him. He looks like he's processing so much at once. His eyes are filled with a mixture of happiness and pure fear.