{Chapter 16}

Jace

My hands stay buried deep within my pockets as we walk. Each step we take sounds off in the air in loud crunches as the gravel beneath our shoes slides against our soles. I had used an apparition to carry us as close to The Leaky Cauldron as possible. I sense my sister's presence back at the drab environment the High Table is utilizing in Diagon Alley for their mud bloods. Seb had tried to shoot me a plethora of questions. I have managed to deflect most of them with short unbothered responses.

"Why do you care so much for Eden's safety?" Seb questions. His suspicions of me have only grown. The only reason he had agreed to come on this trip was to shake me down.

"Why do you? Did someone manipulate you into liking her again?" I snap back. His eyes flash with regret at the mention of an event I know was for the most part out of his control.

"Don't walk a moral high ground, Jace-"

"I don't walk on any moral high ground. I dont hide what I am Sallow. You want to know why I care?" I question. I stop in my tracks, looking him over with narrowed eyes. "Because you were too daft to protect her the first time and live in regret with that shame. No one questioned Eden's love for Rowan. No one has questioned your love for Althea. So please spare me the older brother facade and just admit you are angered someone other than you has stepped forward to protect Eden once again," I say. His eyes grow wide at my response.

"And whose fault is it that Eden and I started the way we did?" Sebastian questions with questioning eyes.

"Mine. The difference between you and I is I'm not scared to admit the vile things I've done," I mutter with a clenched jaw.

"You think she'll want you around after the baby comes?" Sebastian questions. I turn away from his brash comments, controlling the anger pulling within me.

"I dont know. If I stay it won't be for her," I say. It's a truth I have yet to fully lay out on the table. "Now are you going to keep talking to me or are you going to keep watch as you promised?" I question, letting my eyes linger on the familiar brick wall only a few yards away.

He offers me nothing but silence. I don't try to argue with the angry brunette. His eyes glance over me with hate before finally moving out of my way. I give him a sarcastic bow, watching his eyes fill with anger as I let a small smirk play on my face.

"I still dont like you," Sebastain says, crossing his arms as I let out a small laugh.

"That's one step closer to love than hate was," I reiterate, keeping my gaze forward as a small exasperated grunt leaves him.

For the first time ever, he doesn't try to correct me.

***

It only takes a matter of seconds to muster up the courage to make my way across the street in rushed strides. I shoot Seb one last glance, making sure to wait for him to give me a small nod urging me that the space he can see is clear. He lets one-off. His hands wave as if he is trying to rush me. I dont try and deliberate what could have him in such a rushed panic. I press in the familiar brick. The walls open up the small entryway once more. Each brick drags across the other, making a course sound I'd rather not listen to again. With a raised wand I step inside the underground, watching the wary eyes of those around me as they begin to take notice of my growing presence. I dodge the first man to try and rush toward me. His body flies to the floor in a sprawl as I press my boot to his back, keeping him down. The next raise his wand. With little care I grasp my own wand, letting my magic do all the work in breaking his ankle.

"You've been back for two seconds and have already injured two of my men," My sister's unwelcoming voice mutters with disdain.

"Maybe you should teach your men to fight better," I say with a smirk. My want to make the man's back bruise from my boot grows the longer he squirms.