{Chapter 51}

Auction Night, Many years ago

Jace

The tight collar of the blazer presses to my throat harshly. I gradually adjust my tie, wanting nothing more than to tear it away from me entirely. My heart races as I strain against the walls shackles. The skin rubbed raw hours ago in between customers only using me to satisfy their less-than-pleasant needs. My once perfectly ironed shirt now lies crumpled and pulled free from my waistline. Women's nails of varying colors have all left their marks on my body. I bite my lip as I peer down at the multiple tallies. Each body they throw in here with me only becomes more aggressive than the last. My throat is sore from screaming. At a certain point delivering the beatings for attacking the bidders was more desirable than being touched anymore in ways that were against my choice. The door slowly creaks open as I lower my head. My stomach grumbles in aching pains as I take in deep breaths. With a large clatter, a plate of food hits the floor. Its contents spill onto the concrete. I eye the food with narrow eyes as I look at the man in front of me.

The Auctioneer looks me over with great amusement. My sister is at his side, taking in every second of his presence as she ignores me entirely. He wears a suit as black as night. His olive skin and dark curly hair stay placed in a knot on top of his head. His face is lined with well-cut stubble. His hands are deep in his pockets as his golden eyes watch me. Freckles line his face in varying spots. In most scenarios, you'd think he was something to marvel at. His name is something that died out years ago, long before I fell into the traps of this hell hole.

"One of the bidders said all you did was scream and try and cut her. That's not what you are meant for Jace," The Auctioneer says with a small look at his watch.

"The next one you send in here is slicing their throat," I hiss as he gives me a small roll of his eyes. Liliana moves past him, letting herself deliver my face a hard blow as her nail cuts my lip. I hear Caroline's whimpers in the room next door. My anger only grows as my blood slolwy paints the floor in multiple places. Caroline backs away as her head lowers to the Auctioneer. He holds her chin, observing her close before shoving her face away from his grasp.

"Thank you pet," he mutters toward my sister.

I cock my head at him as my sweat smudges the numbers marked on my lower stomach. Caroline yells out once more as my hoarse voice finally speaks up.

"Close your eyes, Caroline. One hour left-" I yell with closed eyes. The Auctioneer laughs at my statement.

"One hour left for her. She has been following orders. You, however, earned overtime for your little stunts," The auctioneer spits with disgust.

"Me lashing out at your pedophilic social elites is not new. What little stunts are you referring to?" I question with a spit onto his shoes.

Slowly the man lowers himself to his knees as he looks me over. I watch him mess with the inside of his coat as a small crinkle sounds off.

"Do you really think you and Caroline will make it out of here?" the Auctioneer questions. My swallow gets stuck in my throat as I process his words.

"What?" I question with a shaky voice.

"Your sister found this in your trash," the Auctioneer mutters as he gives the small note a toss in front of us. Its front is coated in charcoal with fine lines. A shittily drawn layout of the High Tables quarters and its one escape lies out in front of me. I scan it over, drawing the same blanks I did when I had initially tried to figure out if it was a plausible plan.

"It was just a drawing. Clearly, if it was in the trash it's not something I plan on doing," I say with full honesty.

"But you do plan on trying to leave here right? That's why you've been hiding pieces of glass bound in ripped fabric beneath your mattress," The Auctioneer says with a point to the small fragmented glass piece poking out from beneath my bed. I strain against the binds toward him. His finger lands on my cuts, giving it a good push as I recoil back.