{Chapter 26}

Jace

The space around me only grows more narrow with each turn I take. I see Eden's head of brown hair bounce with each sudden movement. Her body is multiple feet ahead of me. Not once does she look behind to see just how far I am in her tracks. I see now her twin moving silently next to her. Ominous continues to call out his name, only to be met with small responses from his lover. I feel the space around us draw closer and closer. The cave's dirt kicks up as it fills my lungs. I push past the lingering feeling of doubt filling me the longer I am down here. With a sudden stop, the twins are at a standstill at the end of the cave. I see the space where the room opens up in front of them. They both glance at one another before looking back at us.

"The aquifer starts here," Eden says with a large smile. She looks nearly giddy as her eyes look me over with pure excitement. I can't help but reach for Ominis's hand the closer we approach the twins. With a small tug, I pull him back from his pursuit.

"Jace," Ominis starts with a scowl.

"I dont think that's our twins," I mutter. I pull him behind me, grabbing my wand as I begin a slow creep forward.

The twin's eyes lower at the sight of me looking so defensive. I can't help but gravitate my eyes to Eden's stomach. Even now I can see her bump is grossly overexaggerated. Whatever is playing these tricks has not done their research on how far along Eden really is.

"I told you she was smaller," Thoran hisses in a voice no longer his own. I raise my wand with lowered eyes, watching Thoran's head shake as a pair of unfamiliar eyes fill my line of vision.

"Did you see how quickly they ran after them?" The voice inhabiting Eden's figure questions. Both creatures smile as they both begin tearing away their masks of deceit. I see the faces of our companions melt away in a matter of seconds. The creatures hold themselves like Andrews's mutts. Hallow faces, long nails, and ghostly-looking complections. I feel my stomach churn the longer I look at them. They stand side by side, blocking off the way to the aquifer with cocked heads.

"What do you want?" Ominis questions with a shaky voice. I keep him behind me as I continue peering at the creatures.

"We want you to answer our riddle, you guess it right and one of you may come to grab your prize!" One of the creatures says with excitement. I can't help but scoff at the statement with distaste.

"And if we dont guess it right?" I question with a small smirk.

"Well, then we get dinner handsome," One of the creatures bellows. It smiles as it drags its nails straight across its teeth. I see now the scattered bones of fallen wizards coating the floor around the creature's feet. Wands scatter the ground like sand on a beach.

"I'll guess the riddle," I say. With a clenched jaw, I pull away from Ominis, forcing him several feet back as he tries to protest.

The creatures laugh as they lick their lips.

"I was hoping we would get to devour on you," One of the creatures mutters.

"Let me hear it then," I say with a sternness. Ominis feels for the wall as he listens. Any retaliation he was going to give me dies down the longer I hold him back with my magic.

"It grows and blossoms like a flower in the spring rain-" One of the creatures begins. It takes a few steps toward me, smelling the air as if it's planning out what drink to pair me with, "only to die and wilt-" Once again it takes a step, "It happens in the beginning as well as the end, leaving a wake of scars and joy in its path," The other creature says. Its head cocks more the longer I watch it, "It can make the bravest souls weep and bring kings to their knees," The first creature says with glee. It grapes a nearby bone, scraping its teeth with its pointed edge. "It can make the most wounded smile and turn cowards into the brave... what is it, Jace Graves?" The creature bellows with satisfaction.

I ponder the question with closed eyes. Over and over again I run over the words, listening in my mind for anything that might jump out at me. Ominis moves past my barrier of magic with a slight shove. My focus on the riddle has taken away from my focus on him. With paced steps he makes his way over to me, bringing his lips to my ear as he whispers.

"I think it's money...they both sound like they are looking at us like we are meals. Let's get this thing and get out of here," Ominis says in a hushed whisper.

I continue trying to think. Something about his answer still seems off.

"Oh, how you chase this even though there is no hope of you finding it," The creature whispers silently. I feel my eyes fly open as Ominis begins opening his mouth to answer.

"Mon-"

"It's love," I blurt out with narrowed eyes. I cut off Ominis, pointing my finger at the curious creature with a shaky hand.

"The answer is love," I reiterate. With a small scowl, the creature backs away, looking at its friend with lowered eyes.

"Very well Graves-" The creature begins. "Come collect your treat," It bellows. "And only you may collect the prize," It hisses as it looks at Ominis.

I squeeze the man's hand as I slowly pull away from him. A flash of worry spreads over his face the longer he takes in what is happening. Slowly I begin moving away from him, seeing the creatures smile the closer I approach. Something feels off with how easily they are giving all of this up. There is always more to it. There is always another play. I feel my shoes scuff the floor as I stop in front of the creatures. They both eye me down with wide eyes as they clear a path straight to the aquifer. My eyes glance at the faded line they stand in front of. I see now the bones are placed in a way to cover this line.

"Right this way-" One of the creatures motions. It presses on my back moving me closer to the line.

"You're right-" I mutter, feeling my hand grab the creature's wrist as I yank it past the line with me. It frantically flares as both its and my bodies move past the small charm. I see its companion reach for its other part, only to flinch back the minute it realizes we have crossed the threshold. I pull the creature to the nearest wall, shoving it back as I grab its face to look at me. It looks bewildered as it watches me. I can't help but smile at its fear.

"You really thought I didn't know about your little game of keeping people down here?" I question. It winces as I force it to its knees, grabbing its head to make it look at its partner.

"New rules-" I mutter, narrowing my eyes at the now wide-eyed creature. "I make it out of here with my snitch or I smash your ugly friends' head in and shove their bones down your throat," I say with a smile. My sinister side embraces me fully as I watch both creatures' mouths drop.

"She said you were weak," The creature hisses. I know Liliana is written all over this.

"For shame-" I begin, letting my hand drag down the creature's back as I tear away a small section of its skin. It writhes in pain as Ominis covers his ears to protect himself from the noise.

"You should know not to believe rumors. Now tell me where it is before I bring this whole fucking place to the ground,"

"Angelus Mortis" the creature hisses my nickname with fear.

"I prefer the term lost soul," I say, shoving the creature away from me as I take in the space around me.

"Now tell me where my snitch is before I paint the walls with your own blood,"

_____

Chapter 1 of 2 tonight besties 

-Swan