{Chapter 27}

Eden

I clean Althea's wounds with precision, making sure to get every cut perfectly cleaned before waving over the cuts with my magic. I have her seated on the rim of the tub in my bathroom. It was only moments after Rowan and I had appirated into our living room that Seb and Thoran had come inside with Althea's depleted figure. She had made it out of the underground in an attempt to warn the others of what was happening. Her blood loss was too great to help her finish appirating to our home and as a result, Thornan and Seb dragged her here with much worry.

After a few hours of Sebastian holding her, and multiple spells, we had finally gotten her to a state where she was comfortable enough to follow me into the bathroom. I see the scars that now line her legs and face. She looks defeated as I wash her wounds.

"Rowan finally put a ward on yours and our house. It's strong. We used some thestral hair like the elder wand utilizes. Nothing is getting into either of our homes without a fight," I mutter, trying my best to keep everyone's spirits light-hearted in the wake of all the panic around us.

"Did you touch the wand?" Althea questions with a small wince. I watch her fidget with her bracelet. Her hands land on my shoulders as she messes with my hair.

"I did... we saw Dove," I say. My mind reflects on the hatred she harbored for Jace. It pains me to see a future we seemingly can't avoid.

"And?" Althea questions with wide eyes. She wants good news. She needs good news.

"It went wonderful," I say through a strained smile. I can't keep adding to her stresses. I won't do it.

"Good," Althea mutters with a small smile. I see something else behind her eyes. There is something she wants to tell me.

"Did something else happen down there?" I ask. I hold her hands, letting my thumbs trail over her knuckles as her watery eyes finally find mine.

"If I tell you, you have to promise it stays between me and you. Even Rowan needs to know nothing about this," She mutters with a certain fear. I give her a slow nod.

"I kissed Caroline to get out of the chamber," Althea says with lowered eyes. I feel my throat clench up at the response I was not expecting.

"Did you... hate it?" I question with sincerity.

"No. I think that's why I feel so conflicted. I was feeding into her wants, but... she's just like Jace." Althea mutters. I grab her face, letting her eyes meet my own once more.

"Are you worried I will judge you?" I question. Her eyes become watery from my question.

"Isn't it odd to not hate something like that? I have no intention of leaving Seb but, something must be wrong with me-"

"Althea," I say, with a smile, "Are you worried I would judge you for liking women as well as men?" I question. She gives out a slow nod of her head as her hands shake.

"Does that not make you wary of me? You've heard the talk of women like that? Everyone shuns them," Althea says with a low frown. I drag her into me, letting her hands wrap around my torso as I give her a big hug.

"Sometimes you are so foolish, my friend. Have you not seen my love for Thoran? I love you now and I'll love you ten years from now... my love for you has no end," I mutter. She smiles into my shoulder.

"You said Caroline was like Jace?" I question after a few moments. She slowly pulls away as she gives me a small nod.

"Tormented. She's a prisoner," Althea mutters. I feel that familiar churn in my stomach as I think about all the pain those around Liliana have endured. Even now I question if Rowan was successful in killing her.