💔Liam Lawson - Beaten

1226 Words

__________________________________

You were at Liam's last DTM race. He'd won the first race of the season and had been pulling in some amazing points. He was well in the battle for the championship in his rookie season. He was about to start the race. You went up to him and gave him a quick kiss, accompanied by your signature pep talk. You said your goodbyes and wished him luck before he walked out and into the car.

You were sitting in the back of the garage as you watched the green flag fall and the lights go out. Coming up to turn one, Van der Linde absolutely rams into the side of him sending him of the track. There was no way he could have made the corner if Liam wasn't there. The grid all moved past him before he could back away from the wall and get back onto the track. This could have just lost him the championship. You couldn't hear his radio but just by looking at his engineer, you could tell he was really mad.

He limped through the race and managed to pull in enough points to come second in the championship. To come second in his first tin top season was really impressive but P2 as a rookie sounds way less impressive than P1 as a rookie. He got so close and yet one man had taken it all from him. You watched the entire team deflate.

After a while Liam finally got off the track. He refused to take off his helmet as he walked past the team. He was distraught. You knocked on his drivers room, "Can I come in sweet." You could hear him sniffling against the door. "Please, just leave me be", he pleads. Your heart breaks in half. "Ok, let me know when you're ready to talk. I love you." you say quietly through the door. You hang around the back part of the garage, hoping he will calm down soon. You talk to Nick about his race, having been shoved into the wall by a Merc driver so that he couldn't defend against Gotz. It had been a miserable day for the entire team. 

After a few minutes of hanging around, you see Liam pop his head out the door. His eyes are puffy and red, his normally perfect hair sitting as a disheveled mop on his head. He just waves you in with his hand. You walk in a close the door behind you. He sits on a chair and runs his hands through his hair, tugging roughly at the strands. You just pull up a chair and sit next to him. He falls into your side, sobs wracking his body. The emotions bubbled up inside him just explode out. Whether to feel sad, angry or disappointed, it's just a whirlwind of overwhelming feelings. Wrapping your arms around him, you press kisses to his messy hair and his forehead. After a few minutes of trying to express what he's thinking he manages to get out "I'm so fucking mad at him." You'd been dating this man for years and not once had you seen him so angry. He was shaking and you could tell that there was no coherent thoughts in his head, just a mess. 

He had to go to do the podium and media. His PR person came in a said they couldn't wait any longer for him. He just nodded, wiped his eyes and fixed his hair, marching out of the room with a blank face. You go out to watch the presentations and watch as a single tear rolls down his face and he is presented with the trophy. He puts on his best smile to the person who was handing him the trophy but it isn't much more than a twitch of his mouth. He does media with virtually no emotion. 

When he finally returns to you in the driver's room, he just falls into your arms. He had surpassed the sadness and anger and had reached a point of empty numbness. He was exhausted, his entire body limp and his eyes droopy. "I'm sorry." he says out of nowhere. Looking at him you ask, "What for?" you query. "Well number one, I let you down but secondly, I didn't mean to get pissy with you when you were trying to be there for me, I've just never felt this mad." enveloping his body with yours, you speak into his neck, "I know you didn't mean to get mad at me. You telling me to go away was a perfectly understandable response to that rubbish. You didn't let me down. You did your best and you have no experience in these cars so to pull out P2 in the championship, while it might not be what you were aiming for, is still very impressive. I'm proud of you and so is the team. I hope you know that." Liam simply lifts his head off your shoulder and kisses your lips gently. "Thank you."

~~~ woooo it's a time skip brought to you by a lazy ass author~~~

Nick, being an old mate of Liam's, walked into the restaurant and gives him a hug. "Good work out there today mate, it was an amazing performance, despite the inability of some people to have human decency." The team was all going out to dinner to acknowledge the efforts of everyone for the season. You rest your hand on Liam's thigh. He just smiles tiredly at you. Everyone does their little speeches until it's Liam's turn. He stands up and raises his glass. Short and to the point he states, "Thank you to everyone who got me to P2, despite the disappointments today, you all gave me a great car and it was an amazing season so to everyone involved in the garage and behind the scenes," he says smiling down at you, "Thank you from the bottom of my heart."

~~~ woooo it's another time skip brought to you by a lazy ass author~~~

Walking into the hotel room, he falls down onto the bed face first. You throw his pj's next to him and softly tell him to get changed. While he does, you bring him a glass of water and a little box. Once he finishes getting changed, he looks at you quizzically. "Care to explain darling?" you chuckle. "Well genius, you need to drink the water because you lost lots of fluid today, through both tears and sweat. And would you believe it, but you need to open the box because it's a surprise." you jokingly tease. He laughs and pulls you down onto the bed. He skulls the water and picks up the little jewellery box. Pulling off the little ribbon and flipping open the lid, he sees the little trophy inside. It's a little model trophy with little letters on the bottom saying "The True Champion". A tear comes to his eye, "You are so corny, but I love you so much for it." You just tuck him in, sliding in next to him. "I'm so proud of you for how well you did and how good of a sport you were in the face of a rough race." And with that you both nod off, within each other's arms, the taxing day giving you a good night of rest.

__________________________________

~Hiiiii~

Hey everyone. Hope you liked it. Mr lawson is doing really well in Super Formula. I swear if DeVries doesn't step it up, he'll be out of his seat and Liam will be in. Anyways, it's late so gn.

Look after yourselves, stay hydrated, I love you sm :)