💔/☁️Liam Lawson - Simulator Injuries

1700 Words

_____________________________

You'd had a really busy day. You had media duties and a whole bunch of sim work and to top it all off, you'd really hurt your knee in the sim. You went to push on the brakes when they went soft and then rebounded, putting all the force back into your knee, sending a shooting pain up your leg which didn't go away for the entire day. You didn't want to miss out on testing time so you chose to just ignore it.

You came home to your fellow Red Bull Academy driver boyfriend. "Hey baby" you say. Alerting him of your return. "Hey. How was your day?" he says as you walk to the couch. "Ehh. Could have been worse I guess." He watches you walk and frowns, "Did you hurt yourself? Why are you limping?" You really thought you'd hidden it well but he couldn't be fooled. "It's nothing, it was just in the sim, I hurt my knee a bit." You sit down and bite your lip to stop yourself from making a sound about how much it hurt. "Baby you need to look after yourself. Number one have you iced it?" You shake your head. "Ok, did you tell anyone who could help like your physio?" You shake your head. "Ok, but you stopped after it happened, right?" You shake your head. "Come on, we talked about this. You need to look after yourself and look after any injuries you get." You had talked about this before because you had a sheer talent in ignoring injuries until they got debilitating. "Alright, well if you can't look after yourself, I guess I'll look after you instead."

You were so drained by your busy day that you couldn't decline. "Ok, fine" you say to Liam. Immediately, he puts your leg up on a few pillows and goes to get some ice to put on your knee. He runs off to your room and returns with some loose shorts and an oversized shirt. "Ok, put these on and then I can have a look at your leg." You simply smile at him, marvelling at how caring he could be. 

You hobble off to get changed and when you come back he has some food and drink on a little table next to the couch and has covered the bag of ice in a towel to stop it irritating your skin. He sees you come back in and notices that you look worse than before. "How is the pain? Is it getting better or not." You sit down and can't help but let a little whimper leave your lips. He takes this as enough of a response. "Aww honey, put your leg up and let me see." As soon as he looks at it it is clearly swollen around your knee and there is faint bruises starting to pop up around your knee cap. "How did you do anything on the sim after this. It hurts to even look at!" he says in shock that you could move at all. He gets you too lift your leg and tries to test what you can do, eventually coming to the conclusion that you can do just about nothing. "Babe, this is really bad. I think you need to at the very least call your physio." You want to pretend it's fine but just trying to bend it has become agonising. The swelling is making it hurt heaps more and it doesn't look like you can walk now, regardless of what you could do an hour ago. Knowing that Liam is right, you call up your physio. 

The decision is made that you need to have it looked at. You hate going to hospitals and doctors because you just about never got good news there. Last time you went to the physio, you ended up in a leg splint for 4 weeks, luckily that was during the off season but if you did that now, you'd be missing races which was not an option if you wanted to fight for the F2 championship. You asked Liam if he could drive you there because you couldn't really use your leg at this point. "Of course I can take you. Do you need anything? I can get you a water bottle and a jacket if you give me one second." He barley waited for a response before he went to get a big warm jumper because it was getting colder outside as the sun began to set and a water bottle to keep you hydrated. He handed them to you. "Alright, you hold them and I'll carry you to the car." He lifts you up with ease and walks you to the car. You just look at him, god you loved this man so much. 

He places you into the car and gives you a kiss on the cheek for good measure. Walking around to the driver's side, he buckles himself in and rests his hand on your leg. "We'll go and get it checked out and we'll go from there, ok? I'll be with you while they check it and I'll help you with whatever they tell you to do to make it better. You'll be ok." You smile sadly at him. The pain is the main thing on your mind right now.

After a short drive you pull up to the physio. Liam helps you out of the car, looping his hand under your arm and resting his hand on your hip, helping you to walk into the clinic. He puts you into a chair in the waiting room before going up to the receptionist and sorting all that mess out. You zone out for a couple minutes before the physio walks out and calls your name. You try to get up but don't get far without Liam resuming his previous position next to you. The physio tells you to lay down on the little examining bed and takes one look at your knee and certainly doesn't look optimistic. Liam pulls up a chair next to you laying down and holds your hand, rubbing small circles into the back of it. The physio touches it for the first time and you jerk up, tears immediately falling from your eyes. He apologises and you are just left there in pain and he pokes and prods, trying to figure out what is going on. You are completely zoned out, you can faintly hear Liam talking to him and answering some questions about how it happened, on your behalf. The pain is making a ringing sound in your head. You brain feels cloudy and all you can concentrate on is the white hot pain coming from your knee. You eyes are closed and you can taste blood coming from your bitten lips. Liam strokes your hair to get your attention.

You open your eyes and sit up a bit. "Ok so I'll be honest, it's not great but it isn't too bad. You've got a small tear in your cartilage. It should heal within about 2 weeks but I want to see you in a couple days to see how it's going. I know that your spring break is over in 3 weeks and I think we should be able to get you back without missing any races but I can't promise that at the moment. For at least the next week, you need to rest, do just about nothing ok?" You can barely process this. You were meant to be doing intense sim work this week and you were meant to be doing an FP1 in Verstappen's car next week. 

Liam got all the documents from the physio and got all the instructions to help you recover. Tears were falling from your eyes as the the physio left the room, leaving you and Liam to sort yourselves out. Liam sat on the bed next to you and pulled your shaking body next to his. He rubbed your back, pressing soft kisses to your temple.  After a bit, he pipes up, "Let's get into the car and we can get home and them we can talk and cuddle if you want, ok?" You nod, not trusting your voice. Once again, Liam helps you walk out to the car and into your seat. You just sit there, trying to process what this will mean for not just the next few weeks but for your career. Liam rubs your leg and says sweet nothings just to keep you grounded.

You pull up to the house and Liam carries you back inside bridal style as you rest your head on his chest. He puts you on the couch and elevates your leg once more. He sits next to you and wraps his arms around you just letting you cry. "You want to talk it out?" he asks gently. Just just shake your head, too tired to verbalise the mess of thoughts in your head. "Ok, do you want me to call Christian and let him know?" Knowing you'd have to tell him eventually, you nod. Liam gives you a kiss before walking off and calling up your boss.

After a few minutes he returns. "Ok so they want you to do some data analysis but not actually go into the sim and they still want you to do the FP1 but in a different round. You haven't lost any opportunities and they aren't mad. He is sad that you didn't tell them though because they would have taken you out and let you rest. You need to look after yourself, especially when you are doing stuff with the team." You just nod and snuggle into his side. "Thank you so much baby. You're an absolute angel." you manage to choke out. "Anything for you sweetie. Do you need anything or just cuddles." You smile, "Just cuddles" Liam chuckles before pulling your head into the crook of his neck and pressing kisses to your head. "I love you" he whispers into your hair before you fall asleep.

_____________________________

~Hiiiii~

Wowzers. I got carried away there. I have found some good prompts on pinterest so you might get some kinda interesting ones over the next little while. I would still love requests. Are you guys liking the F2 drivers? I promise I'll do some more F1 and a few F3. I have so many drafts to finish. 

Look after yourselves, stay hydrated, I love you sm :)