💔Max Verstappen - Independent

1200 Words

Warning: Semi-graphic description of wounds and violence, possible incorrect medical information

Prompt creds: https://www.tumblr.com/honey-beann/717334452003536896/prompt-list-injury-dialogue?source=share

_____________________________

Max had never had someone to lean on. His dad was barely a dad and his mum and sister were almost never with him, and with all the travel and time off of school, he barely had any friends. Thanks to this, he learnt at a very young age that he needed to be independent, he couldn't rely on anyone else to help him.

This mindset had proven to have many flaws once he grew up. One of these flaws being the inability to accept your help. Despite being together for ages, he still tried to hide things from you even though you'd made it clear that you wanted to help him no matter what. This became very apparent when he came home one night with a bleeding wound on his arm. 

As soon a he walks through the door towards you in the kitchen, you can see a bit of red on the side of his shirt. He gives you a soft kiss on the cheek and asks how your day was, just like normal, but then he goes to the first aid cupboard and retreats to the bathroom, not like normal. 

"What do you need the first aid stuff for?" you ask, concern lacing your voice from the kitchen

"It's nothing, there's not even that much blood." he responds.

You put down the knife you were preparing dinner with and follow him as he walks away. The wound looks deep, covering a large chunk of his bicep, and you can see how his hand is shaking, blood rubbing onto his shirt as he walks. You might not be a medical expert but that is not good, even you could tell. The bleeding hadn't ebbed as you walked in to the bathroom and told him to sit on the bench. He awkwardly hops up, keeping the weight off of his arm as much as possible.

"We need to try and clean this up but at this rate, the doctors in the ER might be getting that job." You tell him, angry that he tried to handle this on his own.

Feeling him tense and panic, the anger slips away as you place a gentle hand on his thigh and squeeze it periodically, "This is going to hurt but i need you to take a deep breath for me. The less tense you are the less painful this will be. Try and relax, sweetheart." Try as he might, he is too high on adrenaline to relax much but you pull out some butterfly strips, hoping the cut isn't too deep for them to work. You don't want to touch the arm any more than necessary but you wrap your hands around the arm pushing the cut together and placing the strips on the keep it together. All this draws a restricted whimper out of Max and when you take your eyes off the cut to look at his face, you see tears pouring from his eyes. "Almost done, I promise."

Not wanting to drag this painful process on for much longer, you quickly grab the bandages and wrap it around just tight enough that it won't hurt him but will keep the cut closed. You grab an instant ice pack out of the kit and rest it on his arm. "Ok I'm finished now. Is the pain starting to go away?" He responds with a small nod.

With his head resting on the bathroom mirror and his eyes closed, you place a hand on each of his cheeks, rubbing your thumb over them softly. "Can we please talk about this, Max." He looked so drained and pale, but those injuries don't just happen, no one walks into a room with a large cut like that without a backstory. You have a small inkling about how it may have come about but you hoped it was something else, you couldn't quite be sure though. 

He looks so tired that you decide to drop the subject and take him to bed instead. You put one arm under his and slowly slide him off the counter, letting his weight rest on your shoulder. You walk with your arm on him all the way to the bed where you support his head to lay him down. Knowing you wouldn't get much more out of him tonight, you lay down next to him, you'll interrogate him at a different time, right now he needs rest and recovery. 

 __

As the sun shines through the windows, you slowly wake up, groggy from lack for sleep since you were to worried about your boyfriend to sleep. At the thought, you roll over to see how he is. 

He is slightly awake but not fully aware of his surroundings. Pushing the hair out of his face, you place a kiss on his forehead, "You ok?" He nods once again and smiles slightly at you. You pull yourself up to sit against the bedhead, "How did it happen?" You ask bluntly, gesturing towards the bandaged arm.

He can tell from your tone that there is no getting out of this and he will have to tell you eventually, so he takes a deep breath and spills everything to your waiting ears. "I'm sorry, I was with dad in the garage once everyone went home and he was mad that I didn't get pole and said it was your fault for distracting me and making me weak, even though I've been doing better thanks to your support and he said I should stop talking to you but I don't want you to leave me so I told him to leave and he got mad so then he threw one of the spanners in the toolbox at me and there was no one else around to help so I just left and drove home. I didn't want you to be worried or to prove him right that you were making me weak so I didn't tell you and I was too dizzy to protest so I let you help which was wrong of me and I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made it your issue."

This entire speil caught you off guard and you didn't know how to respond other than to pull him into you, keeping pressure off the cut arm and holding him tight. "We've talked about this before, needing a hand doesn't make you weak and your father doesn't know anything about you. You don't need to be sorry and I'm never going to leave you." Tears once again start to cascade down his cheeks, his eyes still red and swollen from last night. You let them fall and wipe them off his cheeks between kisses.

Once the tears stop falling and you have talked it all out, you help him sit up without using the bad arm and arrange his body to be side on to yours in the bed, you pull his head to rest on your shoulder and buries his face into the side of his neck while you redo all the bandages.

"Thank you."

"Always."

_____________________________

~Hiiiii~

Please enjoy this terrible writing, I have so much on right now so you'll just have to make do with sub par content for a few weeks. Good luck for everyone who's in test/exam periods, I believe in you.

Look after yourselves, stay hydrated, I love you sm :)