💔Lewis Hamilton - Sensory Overload

700 Words

TW: Autistic meltdown sorta (see notes)

_____________________________

After a nine hour shift, you were absolutely exhausted. You sat on the couch in the living room, turning on the fans and telly as you tried to relax. You were sweaty and sore, just wanting to feel calm. You sat and sat and it never got better. You could feel your clothes sticking to you but the thought of trying to take a shower was so overwhelming, you could hear every sound for a hundred miles. The walls seemed to be closing in on you. You weren't paying any attention to the show that was playing anymore. Then the final straw was Lewis coming home, shutting the door too loud and shouting far to loudly, considering you were a couple meters away, that he was home. He hears you whimper and walks toward the sound.

He doesn't make it far before he sees you squirming around on the couch as you try and make everything touching you feel less nauseating. "Babe, are you ok?" he tries to hug you but you pull away rapidly. "Can you tell me what's going on?" he says taking a seat on the other side of the couch. You just shake your head and try to say words, but nothing comes out. With tears spilling down your face and your head throbbing. Quite quickly, Lewis realizes that you are having a meltdown. "Ok, is this just too much and too many feelings?" You nod violently, not knowing how to make it stop. 

"Will turning off the sounds help?" he queries. You nod. Immediately, he gets up, turning off the fan and TV before getting your noise cancelling headphones and bringing them to you. Putting them on your head helps a bit but you still feel uncomfy. He moves the cushions on the couch so that you won't have any lumps or seams touching you and then dims the lights. 

Looking at you he starts rocking back and forward gently. You catch on and start doing the same. He hands you one of your favourite stim toys and smiles at you, still making sure not to touch you. Lewis simply sits across from you, not a trace of judgement in his eyes and waits for you to settle back down. 

Slowly, the walls start to feel less close, the sounds feel less abrasive and the lights feel less aggressive. Your head has stopped hurting and your stomach has stopped churning. Lewis is still sitting there patiently. You take of one side of the headphones and then the other, not wanting to re-enter the world to quickly. The main thing you feel is just exhaustion with a twinge of humiliation. 

"I'm sorry" you say to Lewis. "Baby, don't you dare apologise. I know you don't want those meltdowns to happen and I don't get to be annoyed by you needing some support." You have no idea how you found a man who understood that but you did. "You want a hug?" He asks permission before doing so much as moving a hand towards you. "I would love a hug." Moving slowly across the couch, he opens his arms and allows you to sit on his lap and snuggle into his chest. Placing a soft kiss on your head, he strokes your hair gently as he wipes your tears.

After a while of sitting in silence, Lewis quietly asks, "It's getting a bit late. Do you want to eat" sensing your apprehension, he elaborates. "We can have some of your safe foods, get into your nice textures outfit and then watch your comfort show. We'll just take it easy. Stick to the normal routine as much as we can but still make sure you rest" 

Everyday you fell more and more in love with this man. No one had ever been quite so aware of what you needed and so willing to give you that.

_____________________________

~Hiiiii~

I don't have autism BUT this is what it feels like when I get overstimulated and I wish I had someone like this to help when that happens. If this doesn't encapsulate your experiences then I'm sorry. Hopefully this will help someone feel better though. My dms are always open if you need. If I said anything offensive then pls pls pls let me know. I don't mean to do harm and I will fix stuff that needs to be.

Look after yourselves, stay hydrated, I love you sm :)