☁️Clement Novalak - When the Seasons Change

1350 Words

Requested by: lilmissmoo28 

____________________________

You and Clem had been great friends ever since you did karting together at the age of 10. Now you had retired and he'd kept racing, you were able to attend a lot fewer races but you still went whenever you could. 

It was the final round of the 2024 Formula 2 season and Clem was almost guaranteed the championship. In an amazing show of form through the season he was on his way to clinch the title with you watching on. He'd always said you'd be with him when he won the title, even back when you were racing together. Part of you wished you could be driving with him and maybe even share the podium but you were happy he could still do it regardless of whether you were with him. 

You showed up to the track and strolled into the paddock, making your way to the Trident garage to meet up with him. On your way you bump into some of his mates including your former teammate, Marcus Armstrong who was visiting from Indy to hopefully see Clem win the title. You chatted about where you were in careers now, seeming so long ago you were racing those tiny karts together and walked into the tent together.

Clem saw both of you at the same time but immediately went to hug you first, setting off butterflies in your stomach that he immediately stopped what he was doing and hugged you before Marcus who just stood there laughing at your antics. You couldn't help but notice a subtle blush on Clem's cheeks when he pulled away. He gave a quick hug to Marcus and then had to go back to what he was doing before you arrived, leaving you in Marcus's care for a while. 

You decided to go up the hospitality together before the race began. You had a bit of time where not much was happening so you two got back to chatting, eventually Marcus managed to move the conversation to your dating life, or lack thereof. You explained that you were very bad at identifying what was platonic and romantic love since you never felt quite as loved as you did with some of your friends. Marcus just laughed at you, "Yeah which friends though, mate." The question caught you off guard when you realised that you were comparing all of your dates to Clem, this wasn't necessarily a relevation to you but when you realised that you were comparing them because you would rather be dating Clem, you felt winded, were you really that attached to Clem? Refusing to address the feelings you had ignored for years you simply responded to Marcus with "Does it matter?" Defensive sass plaguing your voice. "Only if you want it to go anywhere."

Marcus continued to figure out a way to make you admit that you liked Clem as more than just a friend, since you had put the feelings down to you being really good friends and somehow ignored that this is how people feel when they are in love. Eventually Marcus gave up and went to the garage to see how the race prep with going for the title contender. He knows it isn't his place to get you two together but he knows you like each other and can't let you both keep going around comparing other suitors to each other. Knowing that distracting him before a championship race was a bad idea, he kept his mouth shut but made it his mission to get you two together after the race now that you had more or less confirmed you liked him back. 

The race goes by with Clem pushing to stay in the lead for most of the race. A perfect pitstop an a few perfect runs of overtakes and he crosses the line in P1, bringing home the F2 championship. He pulls into parc ferme and stands on top of his car before punching the air and screaming his heart out. He jumps of the car and as soon as he spots you at the barrier, he sprints towards you, leaving the team waiting and jumps into your arms, pulling you into the tightest hug. "You really are my lucky charm", he says through his helmet into your ear. Your cheeks turn massively yred, much the Marcus's amusement who doesn't get a hug until after the team.

When he finally gets back to the garage after the podium celebrations, you are waiting in his driver's room. He gives you a much more gentle hug, tears of happiness slowly falling down his face. "I'm so glad you were here today." Part of him knew he had the skill to win but another part of him was sure you had some influence with winning him the title.

The plans for tonight's celebrations was made, meaning that you were going out with Clem and a bunch of other people to a club where some of the F1 drivers and admin were also heading. 

You went back to the hotel and got ready to head off, you wait at Clem's door until he comes out and you catch your ride there together.

Eventually you reach the club and as you walk in he is more or less flogged by people congratulating him on the title. Through it all he sticks by your side with Marcus joining your duo as well. Eventually you settled into the bar next to Clem who wasn't really talking to many people. You'd known him for years and for him to be keeping to himself this much, especially in a bar, was very off putting. "You alright, Clemmy?" He doesn't really know how to explain how he feels but he knows that you should've been at this race as more than a friend. He wanted you to be there as his WAG.

Marcus is all to sick of your heart eyes for each other so he walks past, grabs each of your hands and puts them on top of eachother, forcing you to hold hands on top of the bar. "I know you two go out to bars and all that sort of stuff together constantly, but this is a date now. All that friend stuff you do has been a date for normal people, I hope you know that." And he simply walks away.

You are both left slightly stunned so you both resort to laughter in hopes the other will speak first. Eventually you give up on him breaking the silence so you pipe up, "We've been friends for long enough that it won't make it weird if you have to tell me something." Hoping you'll spur him on to talk. Suddenly it seems he needs another drink but he can't bear to have you at another race as just his "friend".

"Promise whatever I say now won't stop us being friends? No matter what?"

"We've been friends for well over a decade, I think it's too late to get rid of me now."

"Ok, well I really like you and I want you to be my girlfriend and Marcus said that you liked me back which could just be him pulling my leg but I think I'm willing to risk it if it means you can come to races as my girlfriend instead of just my 'bro' from when we raced together because I don't think anyone has ever understood me like you do and I really want you to know that."

When he finally takes a breath, you squeeze his hand and smile, "Can I kiss you?" He nods and with that you lean in and finally, after years of wondering if you actually liked him like that, everything made sense. This was the love of your life.

A cheer erupts from the side of the bar and when you look in the direction of the commotion, it consists of almost the entire Trident team and Marcus who obviously were much less naive than you both were.

_____________________________

~Hiiiii~

Two weeks in a row on schedule, isn't this shocking. Thanks for all the support and the requests.

Look after yourselves, stay hydrated, I love you sm :)