Chapter Three - Detention WITH Ashley? Um, Ew.

Daddy read the note in my backpack in disbelief. Who would have ever known his little girl would get detention for hitting a class mate? Not him, never him. “Annabelle...” He finally said, shaking his head. He set down the note and ran a heavy hand through his hair, “Getting into fights at school, what were you thinkin’, baby doll?”

“She started it.” I pouted, sitting across from him at the dining room table. When he came to pick me up we didn’t even talk. When I handed him the note, I braced my ears for the yelling of a lifetime. My knuckles still hurt from hitting her so hard. It looked so much easier on the television.

“Annabelle, I don’t care who started it. What have your brothers and I always told you? - don’t speak, and walk away.”

I nodded, “I know. But she called me...” I stopped myself, I didn’t even want to repeat that word. I’ve only heard my brothers say it and sometimes on the TV, maybe it’d slip out of my dad’s mouth - but I’ve never been called one. And all because some juice spilled on her sweater. Juice that she spilt!

“...A?” Daddy urged me on, leaning in with the momentum. I looked down at the floor, mouthing the word at first. After him saying he couldn’t hear me several times, I almost shouted it, “She called me a bitch!” I clamped my hand over my mouth and let the tears spill over.

Daddy sat back so fast it looked like we were in a car, going way too fast. His eyebrows were raised and his ears turned tomato red. Before he could speak, I added the rest of the story, “I walked away to go tell the principle and let him deal with it, but she threw food at the back of my head, and...and...and!” Sobs took over my speech as the story unfolded for itself.

Moments passed without any noise. Neither of us said anything as I cried and Daddy’s face got redder and redder. When he finally said something, it made me jump, “I’m calling her parents.” He stood up and walked over to the phone book and the telephone. I didn’t know why, but I wanted to stop him. Why did I care if Ashley got in trouble for something she did? Why did I care if she knew my daddy had told on her because I told the truth? Even though the answer seemed stupid, I knew what it was; I didn’t want her to be mad at me the next day at school.

She’d already have a black eye from my punch. Would she get my detention? I’d probably still get detention though, seein’ as I hit her.

I waited on the kitchen chair, swinging my legs back and forth, trying hard to listen to what Daddy was saying. He was being very quiet, I could only hear bits and pieces of what he was saying.

“Foul language is not tolerated in my house...accident or not!...punishment...”

I hid my burning face, as if Ashley were sitting across from me, glaring harder and harder at me with every word he said to her parents. When Daddy finally came back - after hearing the phone slam down on the hook - he sat next to me with a huff and rubbed his sleepy eyes.

“They insist it was an accident. Was it, Belly?” He looked at me through his fingers.

“No! She meant it! Ask Bale, he’ll tell you too!” I sobbed harder. Didn’t he believe me? I was telling the truth! She looked like she meant it, and she looked like she was choosing her words carefully. It hurt too, whether it was an accident or not, it hurt.

Daddy put one hand on mine, reassuring me he believed my side of the story. “Punkin, I know. I don’t believe her parents as much as I believe in the Tooth Fairrrreeeeee- uses floss.” He covered quickly, even though I knew the Tooth Fairy wasn’t real, he didn’t want to tell me yet.

I smiled, “I don’t think she does either.” I don’t want him to tell me either. I think we’re both holding onto that small bit of my childhood. I’m 13, it’s fading fast.

Loud sounds erupted through the front door as Billy, Jimmy and Joel all walked in, talking about their days at once - I don’t think any of them heard each other. Joel, the youngest, was the first to run up to me, “I hear you got into a fight! Atta girl, I knew I rubbed off on ya!” He smiled proudly at me, making my day seem a little less horrific.

“Hey now, don’t teach your baby sister to fight, you hear me, young man?” Daddy warned him. Though all three of the boys are taller than Daddy, they know he can whoop their butts if he had to.

“Yes, sir.” Joel nodded, then winked to me before running off to do homework. Jimmy and Billy stepped over next. Billy was far more protective and - honestly - motherly over me, Jimmy was too. “What started it, Belly?” Jimmy asked, his voice none too happy, but still concerned for me.

Daddy answered for me, “Foul language was used towards your baby sister, as well as a bowl of cottage cheese. She stood up for herself, though she still should have let the principle handle it.” He finished his sentence more in my direction.

“I know...” I looked down.

“Foul language?” Billy asked. Daddy motioned for him to lean in, there, he whispered it into his ear. When Billy stood up he looked at me with concern, “Oh wow...Belly, you okay?” He asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I nodded, but stood up and walked upstairs, “Where you goin’?” Daddy asked behind me. “I’m gonna take a bath...” I sighed.

While the bath water ran I sat on the edge of the tub, thinking about todays lunch. Bale had tried to stop me from hitting Ashley again, and if it wasn’t for him, I probably would have. I’d have to thank him tomorrow. My hands balled into fists at the edge of the bathtub; just thinking about Ashley made me mad. Tomorrow wasn’t going to be much fun. Maybe I’ll have detention with Ashley tomorrow...ew.