Chapter Nine - A Choice to Make

The ringing in my ears begun to get louder and louder. I sat up and realized I fell asleep as I cried. In the mirror hanging on my closet door, I could see a puffy eyed girl sitting on my bed. That can't be me, can it?

The ringing wasn't only in my ears either, it was the telephone downstairs. I got up to go answer it, but it stopped before I could. I just laid back down on my bed and stared at the ceiling.

She broke my necklace. And Harry hurt me. He didn't even do anything when Ashley was talking to me like that. He didn't say it was wrong when she called me a-...

Fresh tears filled my eyes. I was stupid to think Harry and I had anything in common. Now when I think about it - he would always say 'me too' to everything. Was he just copying me? I couldn't help it, I broke down in tears and started crying into my pillow again.

I wish I went with Mommy when she left. Then I'd be in the city, and I would never have met Ashley. I wouldn't have met Bale, Billy or Michael, and I wouldn't have been mean to them this past week. They probably hate me now, I've been avoiding them and picking Harry over them. And when we finally do talk, I tell them all they're just jealous.

How stupid could I be?

I don't ever want to go back to that school. I don't want to be in Tennessee anymore. Everyone saw me; everyone thinks I'm a little girl. No one knows me in the city. I'd never let anyone treat me like Ashley did if I got the chance. I wouldn't have any enemies if I could get a fresh start.

I stood up and wiped my eyes on my arm, knowing what I had to do; I'm leaving.

After I pulled out my little brown suitcase out of my closet, I started packing it. I put everything I could get my hands on in it, not even thinking about winter clothes or even my toothbrush. I only packed.

"Annabelle? Annabelle!" Daddy's voice came from downstairs. I gasped and looked at the clock; he was home really early. What's he doing home? Oh no, what if my teacher called him...

Footsteps loudly ran up the stairs and a hand banged on my door, "Annabelle, are you in there?" The doorknob turned, but it didn't open, cause it was locked.

I ran over and opened the door for him, looking up with innocent eyes; he's going to be so mad.

Daddy pushed me out of the way and looked around my room, "Was there anyone in here? You can tell me sugar, he can't hurt you." He said, sweating and red faced. Why did he look so worried?

"Um, Daddy, what are you talking about?" I asked. He sighed and rubbed his head with his hand, slumping down on my bed. "I thought, since your door was locked, someone was in here." He shook his head and looked at the floor, calming down after his panic attack. After a few moments of his deep breathing, he finally looked up at me, "What the hell was that, Silly Belly? I get a call from Bale-"

"Bale?"

"Yes, your friend Bale, saying you ran out of the school after that Ashley girl hit you? Did she hit you?" He grabbed my arm and pulled me closer, looking over my face for any marks. I shook my head, "No, she didn't hit me. She broke...she broke..."

"She broke what?"

"She broke my necklace and called me that name again!" I sobbed, not able to keep the tears inside anymore. "And Harry was standing right there - he didn't do anything! He just shrugged at me!" I said in disgust. How could he do that? I thought he was my friend!

"Dear Lord, come here, punkin." Daddy pulled me close and gave me a big bear hug. Usually this cheered me up, but not today. It just made me cry harder. "I don't wanna go to that school anymore!" I cried.

"Now, Annabelle, Ashley is not worth giving up your education-"

"I'm not going to that school! No!" I cried. He sighed and offered home schooling, where Daddy could just be my teacher, maybe even my brothers. I didn't want to do that though, I didn't want to be here. "I don't wanna live here anymore, I wanna go to the city with Momma!"

Noooooo, don't go Annabelle!