Chapter Thirtyfour - A Single Pearl

It was Thursday; Ashley's wedding was only two days away. And after only a few days of reading, Dad and I were halfway through The Notebook, like he was before we started reading it together. He took over reading it to me, since every time I read it I would get sidetracked and go, "Wow, I can't believe he said that..." and read ahead before even finishing a page. He told me I'd never be a audio book reader, and I just laughed and curled up under his arm, listening to his melodic voice lull me to sleep.

Hazel and I walked around town today, going into shops. I had to tell her why their was a wedding dress, as well as a coral brides maids dress in our closet. When we passed by the gown shop, the woman still scowled at me, and Hazel thought it was the funniest thing she's ever seen.

Mostly, though, she's been with Billy B. I won't complain, though; I was having a good time with Ashley, Bale and Dad. Wow, that's something I would have never thought I'd say.

Squeezed in this recliner with Dad is the best though, and I never wanted to get up. When he finished chapter nine, he sighed and stood up, making me frown. "You want some hot chocolate, Annabelle?" He asked, walking into the kitchen. I nodded and followed him, sitting at the kitchen table and waited.

"I'm really glad you came down this summer, Annabelle." He smiled over his shoulder at me while he put a pot of water in the stove.

"I am too." I smiled back.

He winked at me and turned on a large fire under the pot, then walked over and sat down across from me. For some reason, flashes of the day I came home crying, after I punched Ashley, and we were sitting just this way. I smirked at the memory.

"You know, summer is almost over." He said.

I nodded, sadly.

"We'll have to plan out the next time you come down here."

My jaw dropped, "You mean it?"

He frowned, "Of course I do! You don't think I'm gonna wait another six years to see my baby girl, do you?"

Then why'd you wait six years in the first place? I wanted to ask, but just dropped it. We had already talked about this, last week. I just wanted to be happy. "Course not." I smiled.

We sat there, talking about the book, wondering what was going to happen next. He still refuses to tell me anything about the ending. "It'll spoil it." He would say, then finished with a wink and only laughed at my frown.

Soon, the pot of watering was bubbling up. "The water is boiling." I said.

"Nah, it's not boiling. Didn't your mama ever tell you? The water is scared of fire, and it's tryin' to jump outta the pot." He smiled and stood up to turn down the heat, add a little milk, sugar, and cocoa.

I giggled, "No, I've never heard that one."

"Well it's true! I can't believe I never told you that." He shook his head and was soon coming back to me with a big mug, about the size of my head, topped with whipped cream and marshmellows. "Come on, let's finish another chapter before we go to bed."

I smiled and carefully took my mug in the living room, setting it on the end table next to the recliner before plopping down on it. Dad sat down next and put his arm around me again as he pulled out the book and went back to our folded corner. "Ah, here we go, chapter 10..." He sighed.

I laid my head down and listened to him read, telling me the saddest love story I'd ever heard. It took every bone in my body, every taste bud on my tongue, every hair in my head to not cry in some of the parts. Sometimes the didn't help, though, and I'd end up spilling a few tears. Dad would just sniff, like the man he was. I think it's only because he's read this part before, and knows what to expect. We'll both be blubbering babies in the next sad part, I just know it.